• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning External Filters

walkerx

I ended up purchasing a fluval 407 in February and very happy with my purchase, but have a quick question about cleaning it.

I hear people say not to clean them on the day of water change, but to do it a few days after.
What is the benefit of doing this other than another water change as you need to siphon off enough water to keep media in while rinsing the foams in old tank water.

Surely isn't it just as beneficial to clean while doing the water change at the same time

I can’t see that it would make much difference but I prefer to split it into two jobs for convenience.

I don't normally clean the filter on water change day just because i usually spend about 1.5-2 hours trimming plants and scrubbing hardscape, cleaning the filter/pipes/glassware would take me longer and i usually don't have the time.

So i clean my filter/pipes/glassware every 3 weeks, usually mid-week and do a water change after as im sure the filter must spit some crap back in when turned back on even if i can't see it.

Back