Cleaning filter sponges

steviez-uk

I have some used filter sponges from an old filter they are visibly like new but smelly from been used and sat for a while. Is there any safe way to disinfect them ready to use again as I dont really want to have to buy new

thanks

hypnogogia

Maybe try cleaning them in hydrogen peroxide. Or bleach, but then you’d also need to leave them in a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
they smell a bit though even though I put them in boiling water, they were in a filter I bought off ebay.
They are honestly fine. You can pop them out in the sun for a couple of days, if you feel happier doing that.

Cheers Darrel

alto

I’d be very careful using bleach - any sponge I’ve tried bleaching has affected the sponge integrity (maybe I used too strong a bleach solution, I don’t recall what dilutions I’ve tried)

If it’s that totally funky smell from a filter left standing that has gone anaerobic, that’s a difficult smell to remove (hence the bleach trials), peroxide should be a gentler solution to try (it dimmed the smell at least) - of course this is after thorough rinsing to remove any debris
Depending how sensitive you are to odours, it’s fine to use these sponge - the odour does lessen over time (used in running filter) ... maybe Darrel’s sunlight solution would lessen the smell more effectively :)

Note that boiling can also breakdown sponge (depending on composition)