• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning limescale

Chris_Homan

Where we live the water is very hard and I’m starting to see limescale buildup from water evaporation. Is there a safe method to remove this buildup?

Thanks.

I go around the tank with a sponge twice a week, normally I’ll have a bowl of RO water that I drown the sponge in. Works well enough.

With limescale during the weekly water change i will go round the tank with the scourer side of a sponge i normally use the tank water as i normally clean all the glass and stuff before the water change and siphon 50% seems to work well.

I do a quick wipe around the rim with a kitchen towel dampened with vinegar every WC. Works a treat. Any drips of vinegar into the tank water are insignificant compared to the volume of tank water, and not toxic at that level of dilution.
I am reading Sunken Gardens by Karen Randall and this is what she says, "You can even use it to clean the water line on a rimless tank by drawing the water level down a few inches, applying the vinegar to a paper towel, and then scraping. Avoid getting large quantities of vinegar into the tank, but a few drops will not hurt."

sponge works well for me every water change. for stubborn spots, a SHARP razor blade will do the trick.

Back