• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning rocks and wood ready for scaping.

si walker

Hi.
I wanted to ask if you scrub and bleach on your stone before adding it to you scape?
Also, are there any step to cleaning wood?
I know that soaking is important. Having read a couple of posts recently where people have experienced mould and fuzz growing on wood?
Could I use some water from a kettle maybe or expose to heat?
Any tips and tricks gladly received!

(I will be using Seiryu stone and redmoor)

Simon

Hi all,
I know that soaking is important. Having read a couple of posts recently where people have experienced mould and fuzz growing on wood? Could I use some water from a kettle maybe or expose to heat?
My guess is that whatever you do to the wood won't make a lot of difference in terms of later fungal growth.

I think it is to do with the way the wood was harvested and prepared, if it was living wood when it was cut <"it will have residual sugars and proteins">, within the vascular tissue, and these are the "low hanging fruit" of decomposition.

Real bog wood has, potentially, been dead for thousands of years and doesn't have any sugars etc left.

cheers Darrel

Could I use some water from a kettle maybe or expose to heat?

I stuck my redmoor in the biggest pot I could find and boiled it for a few hours. This supposedly helps with releasing any tannins in the wood.
Judging by the colour of the water once I’d finished it looked like it worked!

Back