• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clear filter pipe discolouration

SRP3006

Hi guys,
After some help with my clear filter pipes, I clean my pipes every week when I do my water changes, however the pipes are really starting to stain for some reason.
It's a bit bizarre as the pipe is clean where my lily's sit. The pipes are about 9 months old.
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_215601.jpg
    IMG_20210529_215601.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 187
Same here, my Chihiros clear tubings are getting a rosy teint (but not uniform, by patches) pretty quickly. It seems to be mostly at places where light hit it, so I guess it's just that this plastic doesn't like light) sunlight, like many plastics. Is it the same with yours?
The greenish teint is funny though, it kinda looks like an algae coloration. Did you try soaking it in bleach or citric acid?

Besides the scientific explanation that somebody could bring, it would also be cool to know of a clear tubings brand that doesn't discolor.

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

That colour is still there after using hot water and a pipe brush, it's also the same colour inside the cabinet so I'm not sure if it's due to light. I've not tried soaking it as I wasn't sure anybody else soaked their pipes in bleach, seemed a little excessive TBH.

That colour is still there after using hot water and a pipe brush, it's also the same colour inside the cabinet so I'm not sure if it's due to light. I've not tried soaking it as I wasn't sure anybody else soaked their pipes in bleach, seemed a little excessive TBH.
Yes, my rosy teint also stays after hot water and brushing.
And no, nobody that I know of puts their tubings in bleach. I was merely suggesting that as an experiment, to determine if it is a film or a plastic coloration.

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

May be worth trying, I'm not sure what effect it will have however. Can the plastic absorb some bleach like it would certain meds etc?

Do not underestimate algae and bacterias, they can contain or excrete natural color agents that can be pretty aggressive to non-chemical inert materials. Then long-term exposure might slowly alter the color. Also, some medication can cause this, take, for example, Malachite Green and Methylene Blue are fish medication that has pretty aggressive color agents in it that do even alter the silicone color permanently. And silicone is deemed extremely chemical resistant, which proves how aggressive this stuff actually is.

I once had spirulina tabs green in color and when I chucked in a complete tablet. Then after an hour laying on the bottom, it turned bright burgundy red. It's the spirulina containing this and it contains Carotene... Also what makes a tomato red and a carrot orange.

Phycocyanin is the color agent in Cyanobacteria and Cyano Blue in color...

Yellow is a primary color in the red (Carotene) range mix it with Blue and you get Green... Can all be produced biologically.

Last edited:
May be worth trying, I'm not sure what effect it will have however
according to what I've found, Chihiros tubing is PU , so it will stain. Bleach won't help because it'll yellow it permanently AFAIK the only way to remove penetrating stains from PU is with a gentle abrasive - that's probably why many brands tint theirs, it looks a lot less unsightly if it's always been green or amber

I'm not sure what brand mine is, I know its not chihiros. Bought from a UK aquascaping shop. Lots of members on this forum would have the exact same pipe. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Hi, plasticised pvc is notorious for staining caused by bacteria and fungal attack. It looks like the green is is where the biofilm has been in the tubing and not on the end kept dry by the lily pipe.
I recently had a clear syphon tube in my fishhouse which had not been cleaned for years and had a green tint and black build up and I treated it with bleach ( actually Cillit bang black mould remover containing hypochlorite and soap) and this brought out all the staining.
I don't know if there is a manufacturer who produces tubing that won't stain under similar conditions as the types of Additives used in manufacturing are restricted because of food and water contact regulations.

Cheers
John

Back