• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clear plastic riparium planters

Jack G

Hi all,

I'm looking at adding a few emersed plants to my first planted tank but am struggling to source some clear plastic riparium planters ( a lot of the links I've found on here are either old or non UK based)

Does anyone know where I could locate some. Preferably as small as possible, looking for around 7x7x7 or similar.

All the best
Jack

Have a Look in B&M Bargains and Home Bargains/Poundland.
They do these styles and larger.They have slits at the bottom for water drainage. I like that youcan remove the suction cups and replace with better quality ones. And they are only a Quid.

plastic caddy.PNG

This one is larger from Home Bargains. There is a Larger square version of this one, but could not find the iamge of it.
caddy 1.PNG

the Breeder box is a good idea, wish i'd thought of that.

i made a couple out of Cordial bottles and ordered in suckers, they tend to slip as the water level drops though so i've strung them up with fishing wire.
therefore i'd stay away from suction cups if possible

Thanks Gill.

This was exactly what I was looking for. Will have to head down my local Poundland asap!

The acrylic ones, where can they be sourced from? I like!

Morning folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've had a search and can't find any specific answers - I picked up a few of the Home Bargain types caddies that Gill posted above - can I ask, what are people using as the substrate in these for emergent plant growth? I imagine its obviously something that won't just pour out of the holes in the caddies but I've had no luck finding any definitive answers anywhere.

If there's an obvious thread I've missed and should read please just point me in the right direction, happy to do some reading.

Many thanks,

Phil.

there are also high end acrylic boxes that have lips on them
View attachment 113972

These are realy lovely. :) There also seems to be a little wet and dry trickle box to put on top available.
s-l1600.jpg

I yet didn't see the extra trickle box for sale, i guess you have to ask the vendor.. It's not in the standard package.. This is definitively on my watch list..
Thanks for sharing..

Thanks folks.

My initial thoughts would be that all of those suggestions would readily pour out of the openings of the shower caddies, but I would assume a lining of filter wool would prevent that from happening whilst still alllowing water movement. It had never occurred to me that an inert material such as alfagrog would be suitable, I wrongly presumed it would have to be a nutrient source (as well as the water of course), so this is very interesting, essentially we're just talking about something inert and pourous to hold roots within the container and allow the water to be the primary nutrient source, not any form of substrate.

Definitely food for thought, thank you all very much! Greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil.

I lined them with jay cloth, microfibre cloth, filter wool peeled to thin layer,. or if using a larger porous material nothing.

That's nice, haven't seen one with a pump. I've been looking at them - I like the idea of having it hung on the back so hopefully less shadowing of the tank below. Marina do breeder boxes in 2/3 different sizes and the same thing seems to be available in the UK branded as SuperFish: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERFIS...-MARINE-AQUARIUM-SUPER-FISH-TANK/200796902614

With plants above and below the water would it be worth using something not inert so they aren't stealing all the nutrients out the water column? If my maths is right I'll have some spare tropica soil.

With plants above and below the water would it be worth using something not inert so they aren't stealing all the nutrients out the water column?

If you plan to pump it, than the nutrients will be flushed out anyway. And nothing is indefinitely sufficient fertilized, it finaly will deplete, how fast will dpend on the grow speed of the plant in it. :)

Haven't spent hours looking into this, I gave in and made my own out of eggcrate. I didn't want to risk buying the acrylic ones from China. The closest I found was the LittleOcean magnetic frag boxes which were basically clear acrylic boxes which stuck to the side of the tank with magnets.

I'm tempted to get the small Marina Refugium, only 9cm wide just to put a little emergent display on the side of my tank. Problem being noise from the airpump. Do you think you could have it on a timer just to replenish fresh water now and again or do you run the risk of pumping stagnant water back in the tank? Do you think filling it with Tropica soil would be ok or something with a bigger grain size to prevent dead spots in the substrate?

10941_MA_BreedingBox_S_PrdS_INT.jpg

Back