• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clear tubing

bushaaayyy

Just in the process of acquiring equipment for my new set up.

Would like to use clear hosing for inflow/outflow, could anyone advise which material is best/safest for aquarium use? I have seen both clear and frosted tubing used, are these different materials?

The frosted looking stuff could possibly be Silicone - Platinum cured in particular, being the safest for aquatic use, it's 'translucent' instead of clear. It is more flexible but also less rigid at the same time in general so works better for straight runs as it can kink easier. This is a more stable product and resistant (strength wise) to chemicals but It is also a lot more expensive.

The clear stuff will most likely be a PVC of some descriptor, there are different grades around but look out for food safe or suitable for aquariums in the descriptor.
Far cheaper than Platinum cured Silicone and for a standard external filter I'd personally opt for this option (PVC) although I have used Platinum cured Silicone when I've had straighter feeds to hidden inlets/outlets.

The problem with some tubing is that the wall thickness is not enough to keep it from kinking easily. I don’t really like the green Eheim tubing but use it because it’s thicker than most.

Most aqaurium tubing is soft PVC also the clear one... If you go for clear then prepare to also buy a desent tube cleaner bruch.
It gets dirty rather soon with diatoms, blue en green algae en detritus. It definitively needs a clean once every week. :)

The problem with some tubing is that the wall thickness is not enough to keep it from kinking easily. I don’t really like the green Eheim tubing but use it because it’s thicker than most.
I will also add in that when I mentioned Platinum cured Silicone that even when using 12/16 or 16/22 the walls will kink easier than PVC due simply due to the material.

A majority of systems call for 12/16mm or 16/22mm tubing.
Just to explain in 12/16mm the internal diameter is 12mm and the outside diameter is 16mm
Being unsure of your knowledge @bushaaayyy you might find that when using glassware that it will say it's 13mm which would then mean it suits 12/16mm as the pipe then has to stretch a little to fit over the glass.

No idea which route you're choosing to go but most people use clear with glassware so it becomes less obvious although as @zozo points out it shows up the dirt and algae grows easier too.
It definitively needs a clean once every week
:lol::lol::lol: How many people on here do you think actually do this Marcel?

I hope all of this makes sense.

Hi all,
How many people on here do you think actually do this Marcel?
I usually do it about a month after I've thought "that really needs a clean". It isn't too bad in the winter (and I don't clean it for months at a time), but as soon as the days lengthen it starts growing again.

cheers Darrel

How many people on here do you think actually do this Marcel?

I have no idea, I did it for a few weeks, then I thought what the heck just let it get dirty and look awful with green, black, blue and brown stainings. Then I only cleaned once a month together with the filter.

I also think I never buy clear tubing again, cause it makes no sense having it if you don't feel like cleaning it when needed. Maybe the green (clear) tube gets dirty as well, maybe not as soon, but then you don't see it so obviously.

you might find that when using glassware that it will say it's 13mm
Yes I have 13mm glassware so will look for some 12/16mm

definite food for thought regards the algae issue, I think I’ll still give the clear tubing a go can always revert back to the green stuff if i find I can’t keep up with maintenance.

I was planning to order a large roll of the clear tubing to use for water changes, employing the ‘bucket in the sink method’ recommended by George farmer. It’s about 10m from where the tank will sit to the back door/garden. With regards to the kinking issues do you think I’d be better off just using some more standard reinforced hose pipe for this purpose?

Yes I have 13mm glassware
I think the whole idea behind glassware is to use a clear hose for the aesthetics as I said before, the glass gets dirty also.
With regards to the kinking issues do you think I’d be better off just using some more standard reinforced hose pipe for this purpose?
For water changes use either a standard or clear fibre reinforced hose, I always opted for clear as you can see if it's dirty or where water has collected in it.
I used to keep a separate one for filling up again but I changed that after a while and just used to keep the hose clean and rinse it through.

Hi all,

I usually do it about a month after I've thought "that really needs a clean". It isn't too bad in the winter (and I don't clean it for months at a time), but as soon as the days lengthen it starts growing again.

cheers Darrel
Call it an algal scrubber and you'll never have to clean it again. :)

Back