• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clip-on light for low tech bowl?

Sacha

I'm planning to turn an old glass bowl into a low tech (no fish) setup just with garden soil and plants. Can anyone recommend a good Clip-on light to attach to the rim of the bowl? Preferably relatively high intensity. Many thanks

a6ea71004daf85e0d5339b4d930de1d1.jpg

ONF nano. Great light made a difference in my bowl

It's only 1 watt - is that really enough to grow plants?

I’ve only used it for 10 days now, but so far so good. The lower parts of the bowl are quite dark but that’s OK for low light plants. Don’t see much growth there yet but hygrophila pinnatifida on the other hand is growing surprisingly well on wood close to the surface (didn’t expect that to be honest, have killed it before).

Whether it is sufficient depends on your setup of course, but for low tech I wouldn’t go too bright. They also have a bit bigger model with 5 leds, the nano soft. These lights are not that expensive, but mine came with just USB and no power adapter unfortunately.

I think the problem with a clip on light is the bowl top, most are designed for plane edge glass so won’t work correctly on a bowl. A magnetic one may work but you would then also need it to have an adjustable goose neck to get the right angle. I agree with others that the best option would be a stand alone unit for a bowl. Either that or by something like the aquael leddy led and retrofit it to a light stand you make yourself to sit beside the bowl.
cheerio,

Back