• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clive...ever thought about writing a book?

sanj

Serious question actually, I have thought about this for a little while now. Having read many of your posts, I think your knowledge in planted aquarium arena is very valuable and the way you explain things mean that virtually anybody with an averge IQ can understand clearly the advice you give.

What do you think...or have you written one already? :D

Hi sanj,
Gosh, thanks for the very kind words. 8) It's weird, but the more I learn, the more I realize how little I actually know. I have this irrational fear that 3 strong guys (ex-meat packers) will show up at my door one day and arrest me for fraud. If I could somehow do a brain exchange with Tom Barr I'd feel qualified to write a book - but then he'd soon be out of a job and would have to go back to school. :lol:

I've written journals and reports for military projects (nothing to do with aquaculture) but writing a book is serious business and is a far cry from blogging on a website, but it might be worth a go if I could do it collectively with our colleagues here. :D

Cheers mate,

Cool George! 8) Maybe sometime you could fill us in on the logistics of publishing a book. Seems daunting. :rolleyes:

Let us know when it's out mate!

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Cool George! 8) Maybe sometime you could fill us in on the logistics of publishing a book. Seems daunting. :rolleyes:

Let us know when it's out mate!

Cheers,

Jeremy's written a couple of popular books and he's given me some tips. Other than that it's finding a good publisher and getting a good deal. I've considered going alone with a partner to help with the design and printing. We'll see...

If you want to publish it yourself then depeding on how many you want printed it could cost alot less then you may think.

My husband had his book printed after being told by several publishers that it was far too controversial & intelligent for their target audicence, so he decided to go down the self publishing route. It cost about £1200 in the end for 750 books(A5 size, 160 pages) which included paying someone to design the cover. The more you buy the cheaper it works out.

If you do go down the publisher route I highly recommend the writers handbook, it has all the publishers & agents in the UK listed in it and tells you what subjects they are interested in so it is very simple to find someone who may be interested.

I look forward to seeing books by both of you :D

George Farmer said:
I'm hopefully writing one later this year. Mostly practical technique and aquascaping orientated though. Nothing too scientific...

I reckon George and Clive could write the perfect book between them... :p

If you are serious about it I work with a man who's also a publisher and I'm sure we could get it printed.
I agree though a tag team book with George talking scaping and Ceg talking science I'm sure would go down a treat.

bugs said:
http://www.lulu.com/uk
or
http://www.authorcrossing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though to be honest if you're writing a technical book these systems may not have the flexibility you really want. Worth trying it and seeing though. I'm not sure how they'd cope with equations or large picture pages for example.

Edit -
LondonDragon said:
Its all about the logo, so someone said :p
It ain't nothing if it ain't got the UKaps logo ;)

Back