clouding substrates

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Nick16, 25 May 2009.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

hi, does this happen to all substrates? when i touch mine (aquabasis and akadama) it clouds so much its annoying. does this happen with other stuff like eco complete, the red sea stuff or ADA stuff? can i have your guys personal experiances on this matter.

cheers

2. Superman

Superman Member

In both ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and Tropica Planted Substrate capped by gravel meant that I'd get clouding if I messed with the substrate.
    It's never been too bad but could be easily resolved in an hour or so with filter floss or a few water changes.

3. Nick16

Nick16 Member

yeah, its just a pain. i was wondering if its like that with all substrates or just 'clay' based ones. (i know alot are clay based)

4. Superman

Superman Member

Just to add, that I was never sure if the cloud was from the substrate or just muck.

5. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Yep, when i resscape my 720 litre with ADA aquasoil, once i've pulled out all the plants, i have to leave the tank for 24 hours to get some visibility back. :lol:

6. Nick16

Nick16 Member

ahh, right, looks like i will have to put up and shut up :lol: . (im a perfectionist you see :D )

im going to set my 120L up as a breeding tank but i cant decide what to breed. im going to try corries but wondering if there is anything else. i was thinking so CRS or something. (if these breed) :lol:

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

for me it's a case of getting everything positioned right, then fill slowly (the newspaper way) and bingo leave it for a few months.

i'm using aquabsis at the shop and it's crystal from day 2, but it will be if you leave it alone ;)

8. Nick16

Nick16 Member

yeah, but i fiddle which is annoying. :twisted: but anyway guys cheers for the help, i know its not just the jbl and akadama. :D

9. amy4342

amy4342 Member

I've never had a problem with eco-complete

10. dsandson

dsandson Member

:wideyed:

lol, anyway, I have JBL in one tank and akadama only in the other. The JBL does cloud up with a red colour in the water for about an hour after ripping a plant up. The akadama only clouds up with a little mulm, which soon clears too, so tis probably just the aquabasis.

11. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

I had that problem with ADA Amazonia II, except that the cloudiness stayed for 5 months non stop LOL

Until I replaced it with Oli's Naturesoil and no more problems, I can fo whatever I want with the substrate and water always clear, and in my main tank its even better only gravel lol no such problems ;)