Cloudy water during new setup

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by tommyleestaples, 8 Mar 2010.

1. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I have just set up new tank with sand I rinsed the sand throughly but I have cloudy water.

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Hi Tommy. Did the water get cloudy after filling the tank, or did it take a little while? It could either just be sediment in the water column, or it could be a bacterial bloom. Did you use a pre-matured filter or is everything new?

3. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

It was cloudy at first when adding the water but no more than normal. It has been set up since Friday and it still looks a bit cloudy now. It is a brand new Eheim Pro 3 canister filter.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Have you got any filter floss or fine filter pads? That could help polish the water.

5. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I have filter floss in the tank and Seachem Purigen

6. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I am running a Eheim Proffesional 3 series filter. The tank has now bee running for one week and it did get a little bit better. I done a 50% water change in the tank yesterday and it doesnt seemed to have cleared much. There is Purigen and filter wool running in the filter.

7. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I think the problem may be an bacterial bloom. I have now taken out the Purigen and will cycle the tank without it and then I will add at a later stage to remove tannins.