• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clueless - 180L *Pics Added*

Aeropars

Tonight i rescaped half my tank after a major cleanup.

I got really lazy and while i kept up with water changes, there was no gravel vac'ing or any attention to detail and it just looked a mess.

Here's how the old setup looked at planting:

tank2+005.jpg

The initial scape looked alright but I found it hard to maintain, and in all honesty havent fully mastered keeping a calgae free tank. I tend to suffer from GSA and GDA and I hope that wont be the case on this new scape. Half way through that scape I added a koralia 1 which improved the growth as I had inferiour flow however i could still be better and as such im adding a second filter. I cant add a second CO2 setup though so I'm a little stumped as to how to ensure good CO2 flow with the spraybars. Anyone with ideas, let me know!

So as it stands I've scaped 1/3 of the tank and have possibly my best hardscape layout that I've done, I just hope the growing of plants can improve to enable me to do a good scape.

The tank specs are as follows:

Tank: 180 Juwel Rio (internal filter removed)
Filter: Eheim Pro 2 2026 + koralia 1
Carbon Source: 5gk FE, JBL regulator with Aquamas inline reactor
Substrate: Previously used Tropica base with Seachem Onyx Sand top layer.
Ferts: Dry salts in a solution at EI levels.

The tanks still clearing so i'll post a shot tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone has any recommendations on how to go about getting the filter and flow sorted then let me know. I sopt to clive on this and he suggested a FLuval FX5 (i think) meaning i'd need to sell the eheim 2 and go for a single filter.

Re: Clueless - 180L

Hi Lee,
Mate, don't tell me that the background is one of those textured backgrounds? If so, gut feeling is to remove immediately as it messes up your flow. No data to back up my claim, but it seems like everyone I know of who were using those were in deep trouble. Might be just coincidence...

I haven't changed my opinion, FX5 or Eheim/Tetratec/JBL equivalent sounds over-the-top but high flow is like The Redeemer - most gaffes are forgiven straight away, including CO2 shortfall...

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi Lee,
Mate, don't tell me that the background is one of those textured backgrounds? If so, gut feeling is to remove immediately as it messes up your flow. No data to back up my claim, but it seems like everyone I know of who were using those were in deep trouble. Might be just coincidence...

I haven't changed my opinion, FX5 or Eheim/Tetratec/JBL equivalent sounds over-the-top but high flow is like The Redeemer - most gaffes are forgiven straight away, including CO2 shortfall...

Cheers,

Hi Clive!

Yes it was a textured background and, yes, its now gone! Seemed like a good idea before i got into planted tanks but theni realised it was too restrictive.

I agree on the high flow, im just concerned about getting the cash for one. I doubt i could sell my eheim as its got a little noisy. NHot that it botheres be but its a lot more nosy now than when i bought it. I doubt then that it has much resale value. I gave it a good clean but to no avail.

flygja said:
Clueless? That's a nice scape and definitely not clueless!

Thats the old scape mate. I'll post my progress on the new one later tonight. SHame I wasnt equipped for the plants when I got that scape going as I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

As promised, heres a couple of pics of the tank as it stands.

The first one is the entire tank. I've positioned the hardscape to the right and I'm going for a right to left transition.

I'm not sure what to do with the right hand side as yet (the plants there are placed there simply for storage) so guggestions welcome. I also need to get something to attach the java fern and anubias to the wood so to show the concept i placed the pots where i expect them to be tied. The wood is in 2 peices and while its not idea its the only thing i cna afford at the moment. I was thinking about maybe some moss on there however i think a clump of moss on the 2 high branches might be too much of a distraction to the eye.

I quite fancied a staurogyne carpet which already seems to spread along the floor with heavy pruning. Whether this is practical though i have no idea.

P1020041.JPG

P1020042.JPG

did you use the same peice of wood for both scapes? what sort is it?.. the new scape looks really good though? also never knew anubius came in pots i thought you were not allowed to plant them in anything or they die!?

Aeropars said:
Thats the old scape mate. I'll post my progress on the new one later tonight. SHame I wasnt equipped for the plants when I got that scape going as I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

Whoa! Guess I'm the clueless one :oops:

Well not a lot to update as yet. I'll be trying some designs for the left hand side this weekend.

One thing I have noticed is that my GDA has really slowed down. Not wanting to speak too soon but i followed a post on APC whereby someone physically removed most of the GDA out of the water with the tank 3/4 drained. I was very careful not to get any spores back into the water column and observed the glass ever since. I've battled with this for near on a year but it seems this method is paying dividends as the glass is a clean now as the day I cleaned it.

Just need to work on that GSA now which is only minor but I really want to strive for a totaly algae free tank. I'll post more pics this weekend of what I do.

In the meantime please let me know your thoughts on the current state and what I can do for improving the look. I'm not sure I didnt he right thing with the large leaf anubias - Any thoughts?

Back