• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

clueless on the substrate :(

mr. luke

i have a tank with a footprint of 50cmX200cm and i would like to know what substrate i could use for good effect with plants?
it would also need to be smooth and be able to change it with the water in the tank as i cant practically remove 600litres of water to change the substrate lol.

You're not going to effectively replace the entire substrate of a tank with fish, water and other things in place.

The best idea if you don't want to replace it would be to add some things under the existing substrate. I remember on APC some people freezing up substrates and water and then inserting them under the substrate where the water would melt and leave the substrate intact underneath.

8)
that sounds like a good idea.
so its effectively home made root balls then :)
i may also try to replace a bit accross the back with something a little finer :)
thanks

While a nutrient rich substrate can help a lot its not essential, decent water column ferts and perhaps avoiding heavy root feeders like Ech species and you could avoid having a 'plant' substrate. Root tabs can work well for these species if you want them.

If needs be, you could mix into the current substrate something like akadama or laterite, Ive done that in one of my tanks. Just tipped it in and moved it around with my hand.

Sam

Back