• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
We did the “final photoshoot” with livestock, we just have to edit the shots in post due to exposure and color balance etc. My fiancé does this for a living and we will be doing it tonight, updates are coming!

As of right now it’s very overgrown, as my arthritis has limited my ability to constantly trim the carpet.

I’m keen to see the green Neo’s (as there’s so much variation in what ships)

They're pink, with a faint blue stripe. No red at all, just fleshy pink and a bit of blue. They are hyper vital and eat ravenously every two hours if I feed them that often They school when someone is in the room but wander when there's nothing threatening (very skittish). We'll see how the final shots from the DSLR came out tonight once we have corrected everything (we are not photographers, my fiancé is an art director for an advertising firm).

As of right now it’s very overgrown, as my arthritis has limited my ability to constantly trim the carpet.
Welcome to the club :cool:

Pushing down the HC to compact it is recommended- I’ll try to find the video (unless you’ve seen it?)

Do you have the ADA curved scissors - they definitely make trimming easier (though some people find those spring scissors more comfortable, depending ... )

Thanks, but 19 was a little early to get autoimmune arthritis, especially as a collegiate athlete. 26 now.

I do indeed have the curved ADA scissors, been considering the waves.

I do make sure to keep the roots healthy via compression and keeping it thin enough for the MH to pierce to the roots.

One great thing about these green neons, is as long as the light is on and the plants are photosynthesizing, I cannot put too much CO2 into the tank (10+bps). Drop checker so yellow it’s almost white, no problem. My regulator was leaking one night at one bubble per second and I woke to them at the surface. It seems as though as long as they are getting oxygen, they are nearly immune to CO2 and the decline in pH. Keep my KH at 1 so my ph dips below 5 sometimes.

It has been rough on the shrimp, but they have not been doing their job cleaning and breeding/colonizing, and I don’t want an algae crew ruining the clean look of this tank so I have sort of replaced the algae crew with ultra high CO2 and elbow grease. Seems almost impossible to get any algae besides mild GDA with CO2 over 40ppm’s.

I always delay putting fish in the tank because I love running my CO2 so high. Definitely found my new favorite fish.

:lol:
you were talking fish
I was talking shrimp (green Neocaridinas)

I did wonder at them hanging out together and then scattering :confused:
:D

Shame about the shrimp losses (likely not heathy/stable before shipping)

Hopefully you’ll have some fish photos (got a zoom lens ;))

:lol:
you were talking fish
I was talking shrimp (green Neocaridinas)

I did wonder at them hanging out together and then scattering :confused:

Shame about the shrimp losses (likely not heathy/stable before shipping)

Hopefully you’ll have some fish photos (got a zoom lens ;))

I wish I had a lens besides the stock but I’m just not a photographer. Yeah the green jelly neo’s were $4 a piece and came very healthy (only bought 20 expecting them to colonize like RCS), I’m just blasting way to much CO2 for them to thrive. The CO2 is doing 100x the algae control of the dozen or so shrimp left so whatever. They only come out during water changes, I have no idea how many are left.

3 came pregnant too! So I found a great source, 100% survival... I just started adding excel to really clean up the scape... and that plus the high CO2 did in some of the weaker ones, I take responsibility for all of the deaths. I think my green neons have been hard at work eating the babies as well... but I’m not sure how they could get to them through and inch+ of tight HC. I feed them 3-4x a day to keep them away from the shrimp but who knows!

All I know is this scape doesn’t need an algae crew because of how high these fish let me run my CO2. Everything else I just manually remove once every two weeks and it’s clean as a whistle.

Right now my CO2 is almost 50ppm and the neons are playing, males chasing males for female attention... it doesn’t phase them as long as something is also oxygenating the water (the carpet).

And yes my fiancé tried to get fish shots but all I heard was “they’re moving too fast!” So we shall see tonight when we upload them into photoshop for post.

Here ya go guys! Full sized JPEG in all its glory. Still some light and color balancing to do but almost there.

DSC_0237-1.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0237-1.jpeg
    DSC_0237-1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:
The scape is done! Still some light and color balancing to do on this photo but we're almost there. I'll have a final photo within a few days, along with some close up shots!

Though someone did pack “gold neon” tetras (a color morph of Paracheirodon innesi) rather than “green neon” tetras Paracheirodon simulans ;)
(fish value is likely similar)

Though someone did pack “gold neon” tetras (a color morph of Paracheirodon innesi) rather than “green neon” tetras Paracheirodon simulans ;)
(fish value is likely similar)

Oh well, their lack of color actually helps the scape in retrospect because it keeps it minimalist and doesn't detract from the Iwagumi. I'm quite pleased with these fish, they're extremely vital.

I’ve tried to order them several times but they don’t arrive :(
I love the blue eye with faint blue stripe

Back