• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 and Fish

nrwatson

I have aJBL regulator which controls the pH I fined the ph drops low and the regulator turns off therefore I tried with out the pH link and the tank became too acidic and nearly lost my Fish. Working with the pH controller I am now getting and Algae problem and thoughts as to how to proceeed :? :?

I can't really give you an answer, someone more experienced will hopefully read this and help, but it would be useful to have some more info :)

What are your water stats? If your PH is already quite low that might not help.

Also, algae might not be a lack of CO2, it might be more the distribution of CO2. What's your tank setup? (size/filtration etc)

Hi,
Further to Steve's comments, it should be understood that CO2 concentration levels do not necessarily track with tank water pH. This is one of the major difficulties with a pH controller. pH stability most often comes with the penalty of CO2 instability, which can both induce some forms of algae and cause toxicity.

Until you gain a better understanding of your tanks profile it would be better to de-couple the controller and to simply use a constant injection rate. The injection should be timed to turn an hour or two before lights on and to turn off a few hours before lights off. You can also use a dropchecker to get an idea of the CO2 levels.

Algae due to CO2 related issues are specific however, so just to make sure, as Steve mentions we should confirm what kind of algae you have as well as more details of the tank, filtration, lighting etc.

Cheers,

Back