• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 and Pico Tanks

johnny70

Is it worth or even possible to do good pressurised CO2 in a Pico/nano tank (8ltr approx.)

Currenly dosing with DIY TPN+ and Easycarbo, is it worthwhile investing in CO2, the Dennerle Nano crystal sets look nice (can't really afford the £200+ ADA ones :lol: )any other options?

Thanks,
JOHNNY

The superfish ones are good for pico's, about all they're good for in my opinion. They still work out more expensive than a standard reg and a FE.

Hi all,
I know it is a bit of a strange answer in a CO2 based forum, but I wouldn't use CO2 for a pico (I don't use CO2 at all, but that is by personal preference, this has a scientific reasoning).

The pico reason is due to:
  • the volume to surface area ratio &
    the small volume and shallow nature of the tank.
Relative surface are increases as volume declines, in this case we are only talking about one side of the cube (the top), but even then the entire volume of water is very close to a gas exchange surface, meaning that CO2 (and O2) will rapidly equilibrate with the atmospheric concentration.

The second point is inter-related to the first, because of the small volume and short residence time it will be very hard to maintain a stable CO2 level, a low level won't really aid photosynthesis and there will be a very fine balance between a higher level to ensure optimal growth and gassing any livestock. For CO2 to be really effective you would probably need to combine a good method of ensuring the CO2 is fully dissolved and a very fine control system (or less fine control and no livestock).

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel ( and other replies of cousre :thumbup: ) the issues you have addressed were the one I was worried about, so thanks for clarifiying that for me :thumbup: So ferts and easycarbo it is, and we'll see how we get on!

Thanks,
JOHNNY

Back