• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 art flux diffuser not working correctly

Elephantnosey

Brand new CO2 art elite system - 2 weeks in use. 6.35 bottle. Pressure on regulator is 40 / 45 psi.
The CO2 only goes into the diffuser when the needle valve is opened up to an insane level for 15 seconds. Then I can see the CO2 pushing through the tube and out of the diffuser. There is some water in the diffuser.
As soon as I close the valve to the correct 3 to 4 bubbles per second, the water pushes the CO2 back and I can see it going backwards in the tube. Now I'm not sure where it's going ( I've checked for leaks several times ) but it's not going into the tank.
I'm contemplating getting rid and getting one of those inline diffusers which go onto the filter inlet pipe.
Would anyone recommend anyone in particular, or are they all capable?
I run a powerhead which goes right across the tank and water movement is adequate.
Thoughts please?

Attachments

• 155217181572499403770.jpg
    155217181572499403770.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 371
  • 1552171869238385479652.jpg
    1552171869238385479652.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 283
  • 15521719110571733643437.jpg
    15521719110571733643437.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 270
don't take this the wrong way mate but are you turning the large valve on the co2 bottle, the valve not he regulator or the the small silver thumb screw just below the arrow on one of your pics.

have you done a leak test and all purged the valve to ensure it is working?

I know this isn't the same reg but will give you an idea on setup procedure.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the line is depressurising somewhere after the low pressure gauge, changing to an inline may not rectify the problem. I don't know how sensitive the needle valve is on this model regulator, it may be very fine tuning and you have to open it up to get decent flow. Back flow shouldn't be happening though which screams 'big leak'. Test it out the tank in a glass of water with a shorter line from the regulator to the atomiser if you can.

If you do want an inline though a Qanvee one is the best there is out there at the moment, CO₂Art have their own rebranded version of this at twice the price, its black powder coated with a silkscreen CO₂Art logo on it and the nuts are black plastic, looks identical to the Qanvee in every other way though.

Think it might be because you have your CO2 tubing lower than the atomiser and going under the substrate., so the water is pooling in the tubing, it is normal for water to get though the atomiser when the pressure drops and when the CO2 is on the pressure pushes it out but with your tubing lower than the atomiser its causing an issue IMO

Self siphon will be a thing in this configuration so Zeus point is true, but if the system is on (3bps as you say) and the line is pressurised to 40psi there's no way that's going to be happening.

Think it might be because you have your CO2 tubing lower than the atomiser and going under the substrate., so the water is pooling in the tubing, it is normal for water to get though the atomiser when the pressure drops and when the CO2 is on the pressure pushes it out but with your tubing lower than the atomiser its causing an issue IMO

well spotted zeus however water should not back flow into defuser tubing unless have a leak mate i.e loss of pressure

Self siphon will be a thing in this configuration so Zeus point is true, but if the system is on (3bps as you say) and the line is pressurised to 40psi there's no way that's going to be happening.
I run this reg and 40 psi should be sufficient ... what have you been doing for the last 2 weeks.. I only ask because your bottle pressure is going down.. forgot to mention.. just again to ask.. do you have a check valve ?

Last edited:

you will not get a back syphon or loss of pressure unless you have a leak mate the reg he is using has an inbuilt check valve that's already built into the bubble counter so unless this has failed or there is a leak within the reg. I always use and would advise a secondary check valve for the sake of a couple £$ will save trashing a quality regulator if it fills with water.

Last edited:
the one thing the vid skips is soaking the defuser first then drawing out any water with a syringe prior to starting co2 then place the defuser into tank. it can take some time to force the water out of the defuser if not done this way.

yes the video is a two in one bubble counter/ defuser however with the defuser you are using there should not be any water at all in tubing before your defuser.

Last edited:
Hi
This diffuser doesn't have a check valve....;)
So add one....or better 2...one just after the regulator,.....one before the diffuser.
If you had a leak somewhere...I'm sure the working pressure gauge would fluctuate slightly!
hoggie

That's correct!
But the diffuser doesn't...best add one before the diffuser also!
This will stop...water entering the Co2 tubing....;)
I always use 2 in case one fails...:)
Cheers
hoggie

don't take this the wrong way mate but are you turning the large valve on the co2 bottle, the valve not he regulator or the the small silver thumb screw just below the arrow on one of your pics.

have you done a leak test and all purged the valve to ensure it is working?

I know this isn't the same reg but will give you an idea on setup procedure.

No. I'm not touching the gas bottle valve. It's fully open. I adjust with the bubble counter valve. I have no leaks and I've had my lips underwater ( in clean water) blowing through my check valve while putting my finger over the outlet, to make sure the CO2 wasn't leaking through there - it isn't leaking) I'm going to do a further comment as I've been experimenting this morning

I bought a new bottle yesterday. Error on my part being a newbie, I didn't tighten the locking nut with enough force. I used a spanner, but only nipped it up. After tightening it up the small leak I had stopped. Sadly I was almost out of gas by Friday evening. I was originally checking for leaks along my line, but I didn't check at the bottle end)
All is now leak free.
Yes I have a check valve before the tubing enters the tank.

Back