• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 asking for a friend!!

Kimbubbley

Hi guys, I've helped a for end dial in their co2. But his water is softer than mine. Kh from the tap is 6. And by the time the aqua soil and co2 have affected it. The kh is sitting at 2-3. It's OK, when he's doing big water changes every day to replenish it. But long term you don't want to do it every day. Do you buffer you kh when it's low from the tap (mine is hard as nails). Also his drop checker is green again in the morning after water change. I take it because his water pH is low. But I'm thinking also maybe not enough surface agitation to blow off the co2 in the tank. Mine goes back to nearer blue by the morning. But his turns a darker shade of green between water change and the co2 coming in in the morning? Help required to check my thinking as I don't have personal experience of this. Thank you!!!

"end dial"?
If it is a big tank, he can put Discus in it. How much CO2 are each of injecting? What are his water parameters if he only does weekly water changes?

"end dial"?
If it is a big tank, he can put Discus in it. How much CO2 are each of injecting? What are his water parameters if he only does weekly water changes?
For end = Friend (probably an autocorrect)

Hi guys, I've helped a for end dial in their co2. But his water is softer than mine. Kh from the tap is 6. And by the time the aqua soil and co2 have affected it. The kh is sitting at 2-3. It's OK, when he's doing big water changes every day to replenish it. But long term you don't want to do it every day. Do you buffer you kh when it's low from the tap (mine is hard as nails). Also his drop checker is green again in the morning after water change. I take it because his water pH is low. But I'm thinking also maybe not enough surface agitation to blow off the co2 in the tank. Mine goes back to nearer blue by the morning. But his turns a darker shade of green between water change and the co2 coming in in the morning? Help required to check my thinking as I don't have personal experience of this. Thank you!!!
2-3KH is absolutely fine, no need to buffer it as long as you aren't keeping anything that needs higher levels, most plants and lots of fish prefer softer water.

As for the drop checker, it could be that the water added during a water change is saturated with co2 and so the drop checker is changing colour, if it stays a shade of green all the time (even when not doing a water change) it will be a lack of surface movement not gassing off all the co2 when injection stops.

For end = Friend (probably an autocorrect)

2-3KH is absolutely fine, no need to buffer it as long as you aren't keeping anything that needs higher levels, most plants and lots of fish prefer softer water.

As for the drop checker, it could be that the water added during a water change is saturated with co2 and so the drop checker is changing colour, if it stays a shade of green all the time (even when not doing a water change) it will be a lack of surface movement not gassing off all the co2 when injection stops.
Perfect, exactly what I thought Nick. Thank you. I couldn't see that it makes sense any other way. Thanks for taking the time to post a reply :)

"end dial"?
Sorry drift less "to dial in". Tank is only 45l so too small for discus. Still water changing every day atm as set up is new. And soil is new. So it's altering the tap water parameters.

NIck and Kim, Thanks for the definition. How long has this tank been set up? He may just need to add plants and give it some time.

Back