• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 Atomizer Query

Denis C.

Hi Folks,

I have a bit of a query for you guys regarding the actual setup of a Co2 Atomizer (Direct Japanese - English translation for diffuser) that I recently picked up for a 90lt planted tank that I'm in the process of getting up and running. Now, this might seem like a bit of a "noob" question but I asked another aquatic plant head today and he didn't have the foggiest what it was for either. I have the Co2 diffuser in the tank and it is clipping along at a nice rate providing a nice green fluid in my co2 bell. This is all very well and good but in the box that the diffuser came in was a small black washer the same diameter as the ceramic disk (picture three below). At first I thought it might have been some sort of diaphragm to stop the water from flooding the diffuser after the co2 is turned off at the solenoid but then the rubber washer doesn't have any holes in it, so how can the co2 get out in the first place. It may be that this washer is just part of the packaging and doesn't need to be included but I would certainly appreciate your suggestions and comment to fix this quandary!

DSCF1388.jpg

Box

DSCF1390.jpg

Out of the box

DSCF1398.jpg

and the mysterious rubber washer with no home. (that is not a hole in the centre)

Regards

Denis

Is there another rubber membrane inside the diffuser and maybe then this one is a spare? I believe that CO2 will pass through the microscopic holes in rubber to produce the tiny bubbles (but not 100% on that) so you wouldn't see holes.

Thanks Eds for the speedy reply.

There isn't any other membrane in the diffuser. Everything in the box was separate and I had to put it together on my tod and hence this line of questioning. All of the instructions on the box are in Japanese apart from the detail about how to clean the ceramic ring using bleach. My major concern is that if I put the rubber washer into the diffuser and it isn't actually porous that it will reach such a high pressure putting a large amount of outward force on the ceramic disk and might crack it.

Right, I didn't realise there was a ceramic disk too. As it's working well I'd leave it out. Unfortunately While I can speak a bit of Japanese, I can't read anything other than a few kanji letters!

In the time it took you to right your last reply (not a very long time at all) I threw caution to the wind and place the rubber washer on the outside of the ceramic ring and screwed the lid down over it, reconnected the co2 tube and the rubber washer inflated like a cartoon thumb that had just been smacked with a hammer. My research has shown that the rubber washer is not porous and I am glad that I didn't place it on the inside of the ceramic disk. So, if it isn't part of the diffusion mechanism I'm going to make the assumption that it was place in the box in error and is not part of the atomizer?

DSCF1400.jpg

is it possible it was a safety cover to stop the ceramic from breaking in transit,but already removed prior to you getting it. I know a few years back i had a ceramic delivered taped to a rubber disk(seemed logical that all).

discusdean said:
is it possible it was a safety cover to stop the ceramic from breaking in transit,

I would think that this is most likely the case. The only other alternative that I can think of is that it is waste cut off from the circular washer that holds the ceramic disk in place. But then again that's just another suggest but to be honest I wont be loosing sleep over it as the diffuser seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back