• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 bottles and hot weather.

Hi guys,
I'm a little bit worried about a spare bottle of co2 that I've got in my garden shed, it's a replacement for a bottle that's nearing the red zone so I don't have any delay when that runs out.

Now my shed is in full sun at certain times of the day and it can get a bit warm,is there any danger should the weather get really hot for a prolonged period of time and the bottle heats up?

If the pressure release valve isn’t damaged then it would vent via this - it would give anyone nearby a surprise (frostbite is possible), but it isn’t going to explode.

The likelihood of the warming gases exceeding the psi rating depends on a few factors:

1) psi your cylinder is rated for.
2) how full it is - ie: overfilled
3) how hot it gets.

Thanks Toby,yeah I've been doing a little reading on the subject and I've checked the pressure release valve and it looks fine.
I've now stored it in a north facing room which is a bit cooler,most probably changed the cylinders over after switch off it'll be in the cabinet out of the way.

If the pressure release valve isn’t damaged then it would vent via this - it would give anyone nearby a surprise (frostbite is possible), but it isn’t going to explode.

The likelihood of the warming gases exceeding the psi rating depends on a few factors:

1) psi your cylinder is rated for.
2) how full it is - ie: overfilled
3) how hot it gets.
Not worth the risk in relying on the relief valve.

06A275F6-8C27-4650-A592-D0CB7186C915.jpeg

the chart shows pressure against fill percentage and temperature.

As far as I’m aware from a safety perspective tanks are meant to be done to 68% max liquid fill.

Therefore if you move up from 70% of %fill to the 70F/21C line you will see the pressure (on left) is 800psi.

You need to heat a FE to 120F/50C to get the pressure to 1500psi - which is still quite a bit below a 2k pressure release disk blowout pressure (that my previous tanks had). This is based on 68-70% fill again.

[URL Storing Fire Extinguishers | Kidde [/URL]

Seems to say fine upto 120DegF (50degC) I think the issue after that is the operation of the FE, rather than a pressure risk.

How hot is the shed? Just think how many garages have welding gear stored in them. I don't think its a risk, the bottle is designed to hold high pressure gas.

I had a large and full CO2 gas bottle go off when I was at work once, it was stored on my balcony, thought it would be ok there but it must have heated up enough for the pressure release valve to go. my neighbour heard it and gave me no end of grief about it, as though I did it on purpose.

apparently when they go off they go off with a big bang.

it caused no damage, just the valve went, which it is supposed to in that situation. that and a whole bottle of gas down the swany.

Back