• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 bottles

Tom72

Hi, I am thinking of getting a dual CO2 regulator, I already have a small 40ltr tank running a single stage from a soda stream bottle. This will be for my 200ltr tank and I prefer to get a large exchangeable gas cylinder, so I have 2 questions really;
Do I need any specific type of CO2 cylinder, as I have seen kitchen grade and others so which should I go for?
I am in Leeds West Yorkshire, does any body know of a good supplier of CO2?
Thanks
Tom

I went ahead and the Dakota version
Some pics of the Dakota needle valve. I have been authorised to use the pictures by a fellow hobbyist.
View attachment 166242 View attachment 166243
View attachment 166244 View attachment 166245
Thanks for the recommendation Hanuman!

I ordered one of these and set it up 3 days ago. Although I bought it through a British company that Dakota recommended, as their international delivery charge was pretty expensive. I don't want to jump the gun but I am pretty sure my plants are looking much happier already. The ability to micro-tune the CO2 is amazing, previously I was set on a level that I'd given up messing with as it always went way out over or under what I wanted. The micro tuning on this valve is super precise, I haven't counted but half a turn only seems to change the ph by 0.1 ish. I've knocked my ph up by 0.2-0.3ph and the fish are happy and all is stable, I'm pretty sure now my cheapo PH meter was under reading when it said I was getting a 1ph drop.

If anyone in the UK wants to go down the same route the contact details are below. The valve was £104 posted and the nipples were about £16 posted. I got a cheap nipple for the bubble counter and a higher rated one for the valve, not sure if this was overkill but there was just a few quid in it. Cache may sell the nipples but I had already ordered them when I purchased the valve.

Simon Briggs
Cache Instrumentation
sales@cacheuk.com
BARSTOCK METERING VALVE. code VM1-BB-6A

You'll need 2x nipples as well which Cache may sell but I'd already ordered some from the company below.
NERO Pipeline Connections Ltd
https://www.nero.co.uk/
NPT Hexagon Nipple 3000LB 316 Stainless Steel - 1/8" NPT HEXAGON NIPPLE 3000LB 316/L STAINLESS STEEL 3HN02N
NPT Hexagon Nipple 150LB 316 Stainless Steel - 1/8" NPT HEXAGON NIPPLE NIPPLE MALE/MALE 150LB 316 STAINLESS STEEL HN02N

I went ahead and the Dakota version

Thanks for the recommendation Hanuman!

I ordered one of these and set it up 3 days ago. Although I bought it through a British company that Dakota recommended, as their international delivery charge was pretty expensive. I don't want to jump the gun but I am pretty sure my plants are looking much happier already. The ability to micro-tune the CO2 is amazing, previously I was set on a level that I'd given up messing with as it always went way out over or under what I wanted. The micro tuning on this valve is super precise, I haven't counted but half a turn only seems to change the ph by 0.1 ish. I've knocked my ph up by 0.2-0.3ph and the fish are happy and all is stable, I'm pretty sure now my cheapo PH meter was under reading when it said I was getting a 1ph drop.

If anyone in the UK wants to go down the same route the contact details are below. The valve was £104 posted and the nipples were about £16 posted. I got a cheap nipple for the bubble counter and a higher rated one for the valve, not sure if this was overkill but there was just a few quid in it. Cache may sell the nipples but I had already ordered them when I purchased the valve.

Simon Briggs
Cache Instrumentation
sales@cacheuk.com
BARSTOCK METERING VALVE. code VM1-BB-6A

You'll need 2x nipples as well which Cache may sell but I'd already ordered some from the company below.
NERO Pipeline Connections Ltd
https://www.nero.co.uk/
NPT Hexagon Nipple 3000LB 316 Stainless Steel - 1/8" NPT HEXAGON NIPPLE 3000LB 316/L STAINLESS STEEL 3HN02N
NPT Hexagon Nipple 150LB 316 Stainless Steel - 1/8" NPT HEXAGON NIPPLE NIPPLE MALE/MALE 150LB 316 STAINLESS STEEL HN02N
May I ask you @ForestDave which model did you get?

Is it with the lowest flow rate? 6AMV1120 Maximum Flow Rate: Air - 200 mL/min, Water - 6 mL/min, 0.042 Orifice, 0.0008 Cv?

Cheers

Last edited:
May I ask you which model did you get?

Is it with the lowest flow rate? 6AMV1120 Maximum Flow Rate: Air - 200 mL/min, Water - 6 mL/min, 0.042 Orifice, 0.0008 Cv?

Cheers
Yep. Lowest flow rate. The code I listed is what you need to quote to the supplier. It’s taken all the stress out of getting the CO2 set correctly. I wish I’d bought it when I started.

Unscrewing the valve took a bit of torque. This was the most stressful bit. I used an exact sized open ended spanner on the edge of the solenoid unit and it broke the threadlock seal in the end. It did need a good bit of welly though!

@ForestDave thanks a lot! Me as a newbie to CO2 regulator I was trying to resolve my issue trough the support and I almost gave up until I saw this post 🙏
I messed around with a cheap EBay ones at first and then thought a CO2 Art one would sort me out, then coughed up for this. I feel that the site needs a section which lists the basic starting kit for a high tech setup. I thought I’d be able to do it on the cheap but got that wrong! It’s not too bad though I suppose. there’s plenty of more expensive hobbies out there.

Unscrewing the valve took a bit of torque. This was the most stressful bit. I used an exact sized open ended spanner on the edge of the solenoid unit and it broke the threadlock seal in the end. It did need a good bit of welly though!
Did you literally hold the solenoid with the spanner and the needle valve with another spanner to undo it? Sound very stressful 😳
What did you use to seal the nipples?

There is nothing to grip a spanner onto with the CO2 Art solenoid. I tried just holding it with my hand and using a spanner on the needle valve which had a nut shape to grip on. It felt like that would twist the solenoid body too much plus it was bonded really well. By putting a spanner on the edge of the solenoid where the nipple attaches the force is focused on breaking the sealant not twisting the solenoid body. It came away nicely doing that.
I used some

You don’t need to fully tighten it. To fully tighten mine with ptfe tape left it crooked. I could have used more tape and tried again but the thread sealant is great and once it’s set you don’t need to worry about it getting knocked loose. I’ve used it on outside taps before, where you want the tap sitting nice and square but there’s too much thread. You get it as tight as you can and turn it back a fraction of a turn to where you want it. It goes off quick but give it a couple of hours or a day to be safe. I tried unscrewing a tap after 10mins a few months back and it had already stuck solid! Obviously be careful and keep the end clean, you don’t want it oozing into the reg.

Back