• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 Canister Placement/Safety Concerns

Jack G

Hi all,

Bit of a random one. I am currently in the process of installing a second aquarium along with Co2 set up.

The only feasible place I can find to store the canister is behind the headboard of our bed (Both tanks are in my bedroom). The canister would be securely position there but for some reason I still feel a bit uncomfortable about having a pressurised canister so close to our heads!

Am I just being overly cautious or is this potentially a hazardous place to position a FE canister.

Advice welcome!

Thanks!
Jack

Well Jack it depends on how busy you are in bed.
You need to make sure the cylinder will not fall over and that the valve assembly not get hit as it can can be broken if hit causing a leak.

What's the worse thing that can happen and if it happens what's the damage or how dangerous can it be?

Having it close to your head every night for 6-8hrs every night!

The chances of it having an issue is very very very slim, but if it happens the consequences could be fatal

I personally wouldn’t have a CO2 system in a bedroom to start with. I’ve not heard of anyone dying from a leaky system but there’s always a first time.

You can always place the cylinder somewhere "more handy" and run a long length of CO2 tubing. Must have cylinder, solenoid, long length of CO2 tubing then needle valves near the tanks. Even better is use 4mm plastic water pipe for your CO2 as it can have more robust fixings than simple push over fit CO2 connections.

Personally I wouldn't be botherred by FE in bedroom, I have certainly stayed in hotels and other places that had FE's in same room as the beds and it certainly didn't affect my sleep with worry.. Nothing leaked gas in the night or exploded, not even the FE .

You might consider installing alongside a suitable carbon dioxide detector/alarm.
Unfortunately these generally cost 10 times as much as the more common carbon monoxide detectors.

Back