• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Dissolution factors

Worshiper

Hello Ukaps people,

I know this is somewhere in this forum but i can find it :crazy:

Just out of curiosity--Apart from a good CO2 diffusion method(atomiser etc.) what other factors other than water temperature affects CO2 dissolution rates in an aquarium?

Surface area of the gas, temperature and time of contact with the water are probably the ones relevant to planted tanks. Pressure and kH can also affect gas solubility but they can be ignored on a planted tank

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No it doesn't. kH affects pH when CO2 dissolves but has no affect on how much dissolves.

Except there is a real serious confusion. Decreasing KH does increase the solubility of free CO2 but does not affect the equilibrium at which concentration of CO2 is stable in water. So in other words it does not really matter for a planted tank but saying it has no effect on CO2 solubility is not true

Do not forget pressure. A tank in Bolivia will degass quicker than a tank in New York.

Or, in other words, to achieve the same CO2 ppm in these two situations, you will need to inject much more CO2 to the tank in Bolivia than to the tank in New York. Taking into account the rest of the variables remain constant, of course...

Back