• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Distribution (Nozzle, Lily Pipes, Spray Bars)

Nick72

I've read a couple of posts here recently that seem to suggest that a spray bar is the most effective way to return CO2 rich water back to the tank (assuming that you have an inline diffuser).

They say you achieve better flow for CO2 distribution.

Is this generally correct?

I'm using a Fluval 407 with its standard nozzle fitting, which seems to do a good job.

The tank is 50g (36x18x18 inches) and I have the intake and output mounted in the back right corner (no plants at output height).

So my flow runs the full length of the tank (3ft) before being forced down and left, creating circulation around the tank.

Lily pipes are very popular, although I thought mainly for aesthetics. I cant see what they achieve apart from slowing down the output, reducing flow, and reducing surface agitation?

I actually have the Fluval spray bar (I think it was made for the 404 but still fits) but haven't got around to installing it.

What if anything would be the benefit?

I cant see what they achieve apart from slowing down the output, reducing flow, and reducing surface agitation?

If set up correct they increase flow and surface agitation, if set up wrong they can cause too much agitation as well - T Amano used the rise the lily pipe once lights go off to increase surface agitation to help increase O2 uptake at night, back down before CO2 on

If set up correct they increase flow and surface agitation, if set up wrong they can cause too much agitation as well - T Amano used the rise the lily pipe once lights go off to increase surface agitation to help increase O2 uptake at night, back down before CO2 on

Any thoughts on the benefits of a spray bar vs standard nozzle?

Back