• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 dosing (newbie)

laury

Seedling
Hey everyone,

Although I am experienced in fish keep, I am not very aware of correct Co2 dosing and usage. My limit came to Searches liquid carbon based products.

So I recently purchase the beautiful *complete* nano dennerle 60litre cube, and I want to keep medium/high light required plants.

The light with it is 8,000 lumen I believe, but this means nothing to me. I want to start my first ever Co2 based aquarium, gas Co2 anyway. And I have no idea of dosage etc!

Given the tank and it being a complete setup in terms of basic light, plant substrate etc, I wanted to know what you recommend?

As I am new to it I don't fancy spending lots of a huge canister of Co2 with all the gadgets, perhaps just try the most long term costly method of press canister for a while until o decide on whether it is something I want to commit to.

All advise welcome!

On a small tank liquid carbon is reasonably effective, though you will have to be careful as it will melt some plants and some fish (and shrimps) are not that tolerant.

You need about 1.5ml per day of this for your tank size. A syringe (5ml one) will make this easy.

One of the cheaper sources is here.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ne...7.html?zenid=37e2ccc08a1c29054e25cc5f9b728f65

You will need to watch your light, 8000 lumen sounds rather, in fact very high. I have 4000lumens (T5 tubes) over 180litres and this is a high tech CO2 tank, definitely in the high light region. Are you sure 8000lumens ?

Maybe
Light - Scaper’s light, 24w / 8000K

Dennerle has several versions of this kit available, what are you wanting in terms of plants?

For CO2 gas, look at CO2Art, they have some very nicely priced kits & if you go with the sodastream adapter, you can easily find the refills at local shops.
Later you can also just change over to the Fire Extinguisher canisters - just check for local place to do the refills

Thank you for the responses so far. I may have been wrong on the lighting, however my impression is that most setups have pretty standard/basis lighting in terms of plant upkeep.

This is the exact aquarium I have purchased:

http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquariums/236-dennerle-nano-cube-60l-complete-plus-aquarium-set.html

I'm looking to grow a variety of fast stem growing plants (though I know valais doesn't like excel from experience, and cabomba can melt a little) along with some others.

I'm not great with plant names but I do have a photo of tank on my phone. Though I have no idea how to upload (maybe photo buckets and get an alternative code for it)?

For the extra 10, you might see if you can switch for the Scaper's Tank kit as the filter will provide better flow once plants have grown in
(though if you've already set up the tank, it should be fine, you just need to monitor flow)

I didn't notice that kit, however the choice was based of the space I had between 2 shelving units, so Sie wise it's fab, but I may look into an additional, or replacement filter at a later date. The current filter has a brilliant flow (not too strong, not too weak). Hopefully with semi regular maintenance this should continue to be the case.

So it terms of lighting and Excel, do you think I should just stick to that method?

The cabomba has done well over the first few days, no breakage/floating particles, and the valid hasn't yet got what I refer to as "bubble cracks", not sure if there is an actual term for it?

Just wanting an aquarium where everything is, and looks lush and healthy is the idea really.

You might want to consider a more powerful filter (or nano powerhead) as the supplied filter is a bit weedy, only 150l/hr so about x2 tank volume. Generally for a high tech planted tank ie using carbon (gas or liquid) and high lights you are generally requiring a x10 volume flow rate ie about 600l/hr.

Something like this will be fine
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/hydor-pico-evomag-circulation-pump-650-p-5658.html

Hi, it's 1440 lumen I spotted in the description, I think it's kelvin you quoted... I'm kind of new myself.

I love my 50ltr dennerle scapers tank. I haven't put pressurised co2 gas in - just dosing liquid carbon and a shop bought fert.

plant growth for me has been ace, and looks very nice in the year and a bit I've had it.

good luck with the hobby.
Richard

The scapers light is 8000K, I have 2 of them over my scapers tank. It is a good light, but not strong enough for me :) Anyway, I would recommend better filter as well. I am using the JBL Cristal Profi 701 on this tank, which provides enough flow and enough filtering media for planted aquaria. If I were you, I would definitely invest in a CO2 system. You can get the welding co2 bottle and get very cheap regulator, needle valve and solenoid for it from ebay. Or go for the FE system. Liquid carbon is ok, but will not give the same results as pumping gas into the tank. I use it as a complimentary source along the 24/7 injection of co2 in the tank.

Back