Co2/easy Carbo question

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by andyh, 4 Jan 2009.

1. andyh

andyh Member

I am running a 35l nano with Tetra Co2 optimat and dosing with Easy carbo. I have used the Co2 on its own for over a year now with fairly good success. (yes i know its not as accurate as a proper system but for my budget 35l its does the job.)

I recently started dosing EasyCarbo as well as the CO2 and have seen some further plant growth which is great, however i have noticed a couple of the fish with breathing problems, and even lost one.

All my water conditions are bang on and the tank is mature. I have a JBL permanent Co2 test.
    http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ucts_id=77 (see top right of pic below)
    However i think that this is effected by the EasyCarbo and does not give true readings. Any comments on your experiences welcomed, are they still accurate when using EasyCarbo. It is reading high at the moment, but not convinced.

My question is i am over doing it with the C02/EasyCarbo i am putting too much in? (easy carbo 2ml per day)

I am confused help. As a short term fix i have turned off the Co2 and completed a 25% water change.

Help!

Pic of tank, things look healthy:

[​IMG]

2. milla

milla Member

Yes your overdosing by about 3 times

label reads

Tanks with fair amount of plants - 1ml per 50 litres

so for 35L you need less than 1ml of easy carbo each day

3. andyh

andyh Member

I was advised by LFS shop that due to the number of plants that i may require more than the standard dose.

I Will start dosing 1ml per day, should this be done in conjunction with co2?

4. YzemaN

YzemaN Member

Well, adding CO2 will just boost growth. As you are already dosing EasyCarbo why not just skip the CO2 all together? Growth will be a bit slower but that just makes it easier to maintain. Until one reaches Amano aquascape levels I recommend sticking to the KISS principle.
    Tank's looking great, btw.

5. andyh

andyh Member

Please define KISS principle, i am intrigued!

Thanks for the comment about the tank!

6. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

From your avatar I see you have Crystal Red Shrimp in this tank, becarefull with CO2 and EasyCarbo or you might wipe them out ;)

7. YzemaN

YzemaN Member

Oh, and some grassy type plants don't really like EC as well. It looks like you have vallis and S. subulata in there. Mine survived for six months but didn't put out a single runner so in the end I took it out. Most other plants seem to do well, though.

8. Superman

Superman Member

I think KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid!

Remember that dosing liquid carbon like Easy Carbo does not affect the colour of the drop checker.

I think 2ml is way OTT, I dose 5mls per day in my 180ltr and that's OTT a little.

As LondonDragon has said, Easy Carbo/Excel do not mix well with shrimp - spesh CRS.

9. andyh

andyh Member

Whats the issue with CRS and easycarbo?