CO2 Equipment - backflow

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Ash, 14 Dec 2008.

1. Ash

Ash Newly Registered

I set up my co2 system last month and I would like to buy a timer for it because it has a solenoid, however, everytime I unplug it, the next morning I find water backflowing into the tubing. So every night I pull apart all the plastic so no water backs up to the reg again. What could be my problem?

I have co2tank/reg/needle valve ------- plastic check valve ------- bubble counter ----- plastic check valve------ bubble ladder

Thanks

2. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

Is any of the water getting past the check valves? if so you have a problem. If not then I would only worry about what is causing the constant backflow. maybe there is a leak down the line somewhere which is creating the backflow?

AC

3. Ash

Ash Newly Registered

Water did get passed the check valves all the way to the regulator.
    How do I check for leaks?

4. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

you have a problem with the check valves if water is getting past them. Do you have a pic of the line?

I could understand 1 check valve failing but not 2!!!

AC

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I gave up using check valves as I never found one that actually stopped the water getting back up the tubing.

Sam

6. scottturnbull

scottturnbull Member

I can vouch for this one. Although I got a faulty one at first, and had to get a replacement. It takes 10psi of pressure to allow CO2 through at all. But it seems to work. I don't see any water climbing up the hose.

7. chump54

chump54 Member

I'll vouch for this different one. I had a problem with a plastic one leaking the water from the drop checker. Since changing to this one I haven't lost any. Plus I now have a very stable bubble rate.

to check for CO2 leaks you need to dilute some washing up liquid (I've read 50/50 but don't worry about it too much) and rub it over the components. If you have a leak you'll get bubbles. Watch out for electrics obviously :rolleyes:

Chris

8. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I have the glass one (Gamba XII) that comes with the bubble counter and then in between that and the solenoid I also have 2 cheapo 70p ones from Aquatic Magic.

It's Not that I don't trust the Gamba glass one. More that over a few years I have cut the CO2 hose up so much that I use the other 2 check valves to 'link' 3 pieces of hose together :lol: and as I have had problems with standard airline connectors (the algarde plastic ones) then I thought I may as well use these.

Never had any backflow problems with the glass one though.

The reason I found that my glass bubble counter could look irregular sometimes was discovered when it was going 2bps, 2bps, 4bps, 0bps etc. I emptied it, filled it with fresh water and shook it, repeated a few times, then filled it back up, put it back in the line and hey presto.....2bps nice and consistent.

Maybe yours has a little bit of gunk in the 'tube' entry/exit part or a check valve needs replacing which is delaying some bubbles.

Those plastic check valves need replacing quite often anyway. They suggest yearly but I would suggest that as the top section gets filled with water that they need replacing a lot more often than that. water has a habit of messing things up quickly when stagnant.

AC

9. Ash

Ash Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply guys. Well the plastic valves aren't over a year old. I just set up my co2 tank 2 months ago. I think I shall find a brass one to switch to though.

I can't really check for leaks now. My co2 ran out after 2 months when it should have lasted longer. So maybe I did have a leak? It's a 5pound tank and I turned it off every night. Any ideas on it running out early?

10. BINKSY1973

BINKSY1973 Member

I use a Dennerle check valve and have have never had a problem with water passing any further than that.

Cheers Gordon.

11. fourmations

fourmations Member

hi

in my very limited experience...

i would also vouch for a leak in the line
    especially if you have emptied that size bottle so quick

i had a leak in my line and it caused my bubble counter to fill up everytime the co2 turned off

regards