• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Equipment - backflow

Ash

Seedling
I set up my co2 system last month and I would like to buy a timer for it because it has a solenoid, however, everytime I unplug it, the next morning I find water backflowing into the tubing. So every night I pull apart all the plastic so no water backs up to the reg again. What could be my problem?

I have co2tank/reg/needle valve ------- plastic check valve ------- bubble counter ----- plastic check valve------ bubble ladder

Thanks

Is any of the water getting past the check valves? if so you have a problem. If not then I would only worry about what is causing the constant backflow. maybe there is a leak down the line somewhere which is creating the backflow?

AC

Water did get passed the check valves all the way to the regulator.
How do I check for leaks?

you have a problem with the check valves if water is getting past them. Do you have a pic of the line?

I could understand 1 check valve failing but not 2!!!

AC

I can vouch for this one. Although I got a faulty one at first, and had to get a replacement. It takes 10psi of pressure to allow CO2 through at all. But it seems to work. I don't see any water climbing up the hose.

I'll vouch for this different one. I had a problem with a plastic one leaking the water from the drop checker. Since changing to this one I haven't lost any. Plus I now have a very stable bubble rate.

to check for CO2 leaks you need to dilute some washing up liquid (I've read 50/50 but don't worry about it too much) and rub it over the components. If you have a leak you'll get bubbles. Watch out for electrics obviously :rolleyes:

Chris

I have the glass one (Gamba XII) that comes with the bubble counter and then in between that and the solenoid I also have 2 cheapo 70p ones from Aquatic Magic.

It's Not that I don't trust the Gamba glass one. More that over a few years I have cut the CO2 hose up so much that I use the other 2 check valves to 'link' 3 pieces of hose together :lol: and as I have had problems with standard airline connectors (the algarde plastic ones) then I thought I may as well use these.

Never had any backflow problems with the glass one though.

The reason I found that my glass bubble counter could look irregular sometimes was discovered when it was going 2bps, 2bps, 4bps, 0bps etc. I emptied it, filled it with fresh water and shook it, repeated a few times, then filled it back up, put it back in the line and hey presto.....2bps nice and consistent.

Maybe yours has a little bit of gunk in the 'tube' entry/exit part or a check valve needs replacing which is delaying some bubbles.

Those plastic check valves need replacing quite often anyway. They suggest yearly but I would suggest that as the top section gets filled with water that they need replacing a lot more often than that. water has a habit of messing things up quickly when stagnant.

AC

Thanks for the reply guys. Well the plastic valves aren't over a year old. I just set up my co2 tank 2 months ago. I think I shall find a brass one to switch to though.

I can't really check for leaks now. My co2 ran out after 2 months when it should have lasted longer. So maybe I did have a leak? It's a 5pound tank and I turned it off every night. Any ideas on it running out early?

I use a Dennerle check valve and have have never had a problem with water passing any further than that.

Cheers Gordon.

hi

in my very limited experience...

i would also vouch for a leak in the line
especially if you have emptied that size bottle so quick

i had a leak in my line and it caused my bubble counter to fill up everytime the co2 turned off

regards

Back