• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 FE Setup

Testsubjec

Seedling
Hi Guys,

OK, so after speaking to a number of people about CO2 I have decided to go ahead with it. Now in my haste I have managed to pick up two 2kg FE for £20 from ebay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uyar843x9nxmfb/2014-06-20 16.41.26.jpg

Then after speaking with some more people they have told me that I shouldn't have done this as the CO2 in FE is a flake form and will therefore damage my regulator and cause huge problems to my tank. What I should have done is gone down the route of a cylinder, is this true?? Also, from ringing around a few companies who deal with FE, trying to get them refilled is very difficult and what they do is an exchange which costs roughly £40 - £50.

From looking at the FE I understand where to fit my reg but looking at the handle I am going to have to tape the handles together to open the valve, again is this right??

Please could someone help me out.

Thanks

The FE's have a hose that transforms the fe into the white stuff you see, the thing with fe's is that you'll need to go and get someone (or potentially yourself) to take it apart, pull out the hose, clean the tank out, put a new valve onto the unit and you're done... I've seen some do it, but literally the same cost as a buying a co2 can. ... what you can try doing, is going to your local shop that maintain FE's and see if they'll exchange or buy it from you or ask how much it'd cost to make it for co2

I'm really tempted to scrap the idea of FE and go to Brentex Gas Ltd and purchase a 2kg cylinder for £20.

I'm really tempted to scrap the idea of FE and go to Brentex Gas Ltd and purchase a 2kg cylinder for £20.
Do it! its much easier than hunting for cheap refills, keep your fe for spare
My 6kg cost £40 and refills are £16 none of my local fe firms want to know the nearest cheap refill for fe, is out of date fe £10-15 each but its 14miles away
Theres no problem using fe for aquatic use. hundreds of people wouldn't use them if it didn't work

Then after speaking with some more people they have told me that I shouldn't have done this as the CO2 in FE is a flake form and will therefore damage my regulator and cause huge problems to my tank.
What a complete load of bollards "some more people" are speaking...A 2kg FE contains 2kg of liquid CO2 same CO2 as the 6kg liquid in a 6kg cylinder. 100's of people use FEs no issue, a cheap and convenient supply of aquatic CO2.

Flake? What? I've been using FE's for 2 years and my regulator has not been replaced once.

Clearly this has certainly stirred up some discussion.

After reading through the post which John S pointed out and through reading further on here. It clearly shows that people do have CO2 FE systems and they are working fine. Today I have been speaking with the managing director of Samson Fire Protecting ( http://www.samsonfireltd.co.uk/index.html ) in Huddersfield and he is happy to service and refill my two 2kg FE for a couple of quid on a Saturday morning.

I would definitely say that this has put my mind at rest and I would be happy to continue installing the FE system.

Slightly off topic but, I've managed to source a free FE but I have to travel on the train to get it... I'm guessing you can't just go on public transport with a fire extinguisher in your bag?

Why not? Not exactly any more dangerous than in a car. Bare in mind a 2kg fe weighs 5.5kg. So rucksack to carry might be useful.

Back