• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 for Rio 180

MattB

Hi All,

I am new here, so forgive me if these are silly questions!

We currently have a Rekord 70, and a BiOrb 60, both community aquariums. We have decided to combine the two lots of fish into one tank, and have decided on the Juwel Rio 180, which will have plenty of volume for our existing fish (and the same internal filter as the Rekord, enabling us to quickly change the media over in order to be able to add the fish quicker), as well as some extra space for some new fish later on.

I want the new aquarium to be planted - the Rekord is planted but in a rather haphazard fashion, and I would like to get it right this time!

I currently have DIY yeast-based CO2 on the Rekord, but would like to go pressurized for the new tank, and have been looking at FE's. basically, I understand I'll need the following:

2kg FE
Regulator + Solenoid
Bubble Counter
Check Valve
CO2 Airline
Diffuser

So - would all these fit together? Would there be any different versions of any of the items that you guys would recommend? Would I just be better off getting a whole set from LunaPet such as this one?

This is my first foray in pressurized CO2 after running DIY (with mixed results) for a few months. I have read a lot of the other threads, but many referenced eBay items which had ended or similar, and I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

You've done very thorough research. Both setups look fine. (I didn't price up the individual items (and postage), so I can't comment on how the prices compare).

Random thoughts:

Plug on the complete setup is a european plug in the picture - not specified in the other advert. Worth checking both.

Reactor on the complete setup is a big ugly brute, so you'll probably want to find an alternative (it should be v efficient though, just ugly and hard to hide).

I've got a JBL kit which I'm very happy with (disposable bottles though). I use a reactor like the AE one you linked to.

Looks like it's your choice!

Can't wait to see the 180 set up.

Mark

Well, the FE solution will roughly work out at 90 quid, all in, whereas the LunaPet one will be about 140 quid. This is, of course, assuming that the FE on eBay goes for 15 quid with no bidding war. Plus, for the FE solution I get 2kg of CO2 and in the Lunapet one I get 500g. So it looks like the FE idea is winning out...

I think you're right about the reactor as well Mark, I would want to replace that with a ceramic diffuser, so that'd be an extra 20 quid.

Thanks for the link to the drop checkers LD, I will get one as well.

So, FE it is! Only worry is getting the FE delivered to my workplace (I'm never at home during the day).... think people might think I'm a little strange! Has anyone else ordere from the eBay seller in question? Do they come well packaged? Or alternatively do they offer an option to nominate a delivery date?

For FE's have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2204

You can buy two of Dan for the same shipping cost, so that you have a backup when the current runs out, or accidentally have any leaks on the tubbing and empties your FE quickly.

OK, added a reply there as well.

Just a bit wary of getting pressurized gas delivered to my workplace... I'm planning to be home on the day the tank itself gets delivered though... That will probably be next week... We'll see if I can't get something sorted out.

With regards to the Reg/Solenoid I linked to in my first post, has anyone had any experience with one like this? Are the solenoids noisy? I have heard stories of some being noisy, and it will soon be out the window if it makes much noise, as it will be in our living room...

MattB said:
Are the solenoids noisy? I have heard stories of some being noisy, and it will soon be out the window if it makes much noise, as it will be in our living room...
Solenoids should be silent (mine is) there is a slight click when the magnetic valve cicks in and out but I don't hear it in a closed cabinet.

Well, finally took the plunge and ordered all the bits over the last few days.

2 2kg FE's (Thanks Dan!)
Regulator in my first post.
CO2 Airline, Rhinox 2000 diffuser, bubble counter from Aqua Essentials.

Also have got a non-return valve.

All exciting, but will be even more exciting when the tank arrives (Saturday hopefully, if I can convince the courier to deliver then!)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back