• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 injection rate

mjw1476

ive got a Rio 180, with carpet of HC, dwarf hairgrass towards the back, java moss on the wood and 5/6 stems of hygrophilia at the sides. i started with low co2 injection but its now getting, what i would deem high, around 4bps, the dropchecker reads light green when i turn the lights on and before they go off! is this right or could i have set up the dropchecker wrong? i followed all instructions as per the AE website. i dose EI very roughly, just pouring a little bit in every other day, probably alot more than is recommended. the lights are on for 11 hours a day, which i konw is high but due to work etc.
im suffering with all sorts of algae but doesnt seem to be growing anymore but cant get my hc to start growing and pearling in non-existent! ists got a little bit of hair algae but the shrimp seem to be working their way through, albeit slowly!.
does anyone know where i can get a regulator for the light switch? also im interested in getting something to control my co2 but dont know alot about it, can anyone help?

cheers

Matt

My drop checker (DC) colour doesn't change markedly from lights on to lights off, so I wouldn't worry about that. The only thing I will say is, when you first set the DC up did the solution turn blue before you added it to the tank and then slowly went green? If so, you've set it up correctly.

What is your lighting? HC is quite light demanding. I would also say 11hrs is to long for the lights to be one, 8 to 10 would be better depending on what lighting you have, probably closer to 8.

When you say regulator for the lighting do you mean a timer like this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-MSA24 ... B000LAY9BA

This allows you to set the lights to come on at a certain time and then go off a set time. They are very simple to use.

There are two ways to control the CO2, either with a solenoid which stops the CO2 from running (you use a timer like you do the for the lights) or you can use a pH controller, which is very expensive and unnecessary in my honest opinion. The other way, which is what I do is just to leave the CO2 running 24/7. The plants and fish dont mind and then you dont have to worry about it dont coming on or going off when it should. It does waste a fair bit of CO2 though.

Sam

yea it did stay blue for 2 hours but has been green ever since, havent changed it for 2 weeks so myt try that and see if i get a change.

im only using 2 t8 bulbs, i have got 2 t5s but am a bit sceptical about using them as ive got alot of algae and from reading posts from clive (ceg4048) who warns of over powering your tank with light and the need for increased co2, ive recently sorted out the flow in my tank to get it around 14x, but knowing that its probably around 8/9x.

ive got a timr like that but doesnt seem to do anything, i tried it out at theweekend and it stayed on all day, plus the directions were awful so dont know if i was doing it rght or wrong?

im not sure about leaving the co2 on all night in the long term as i want to put my 5 discus back in the tank eventually and heard they need it off over night to be able to breathe right.

would it be beneficial to take all shrimp and fish out for a couple of weeks to get the plants saturated in co2 and replace the fish after a few weeks?

any thoughts?

cheers

Matt

Sounds like the DC is working fine to me :)

Yeh prob best to stick with the T8's until you sort the algae issues. Do you know the wattage of the tubes?

Re the timer, it sounds like you need to push the button on the side of it down, so that it engages the timer function.

Ive not kept Discus myself buy I'm pretty sure they are fine with CO2.

If you have the space free in another tank, it cant hurt to take the fish and shrimp out and wack the co2 up, the plants would certainly appreciate it.

I would try and sort the fert dosing. Irregular dosing could be a contributory factor to the algae. Best to set a routine and stick to it.

Sam

yea i know i need to sort out my EI dosing, i will try leaving the co2 on tonight and see if it makes any difference, ill play about with that timer see if i can get it to work. wel my t5s are 54w but the t8s are standrad tubes to fit rio180, 30w maybe? do you reckon its enough light, i can use just one t5 with the t8 if necessary or the 2 t5s. also is easy carb better than using co2 through a diffuser?

cheers
Matt

Back