• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 into Inlet side of External Filter

Wombat

I currently run my Co2 through an inline diffuser on the outlet side of my filter (Cristalprofi e1501). I think I'm going to try plumbing this into the inlet side as I'm getting a little bored now of the millions of tiny bubbles in my tank. I'll perhaps look into reactors later in the year depending how I get on with this. Couple of questions though:
  • Is my diffuser likely to get clogged up very quickly running in this position?
  • how will I be able to tell if it's clogged? -it it just a question of monitoring the drop checker?
  • how do most people clean their inline diffusers? Guess I should alternate with a spare one?
  • does anyone else have the same filter with Co2 on the inlet? Does it burp excessively etc?

I currently run my Co2 through an inline diffuser on the outlet side of my filter (Cristalprofi e1501). I think I'm going to try plumbing this into the inlet side as I'm getting a little bored now of the millions of tiny bubbles in my tank. I'll perhaps look into reactors later in the year depending how I get on with this. Couple of questions though:
  • Is my diffuser likely to get clogged up very quickly running in this position?
  • how will I be able to tell if it's clogged? -it it just a question of monitoring the drop checker?
  • how do most people clean their inline diffusers? Guess I should alternate with a spare one?
  • does anyone else have the same filter with Co2 on the inlet? Does it burp excessively etc?
I pump my co2 directly into the inlet of my eheim 350t (no diffuser - just 90degree hose connector wedged into the grill). Never had any issues and/or burping.

Regards, Mark

I position a bazooka directly underneath my inlet strainer.
Desceet.
1.5 bps keeps my dropcheckers green all day.(160l)
No micro bubbles.
2/3 burps per photo period.
Fluval 406,50% media removed....through full length spray bar.

Thanks for the replies - by the sounds of it I might need to look at a reactor instead.

i have an atomiser inside the inlet of the filter. minimun to zero bubbles coming out and at last the water is crystal clear and calm. my filter is the aqua nova ncf 600. no problem with blurping at all. only when you close the filter stocks up co2 and then you can easily release it by pressing the button at the top of the filter. In my opinion there is maximum difusion that way. If your filter allows you to do this, i reccomend it. i think George Farmer had it this way at some point.

Remember CO2 will attack rubber, which is why the fire extinguisher sealing washer is plastic (PTFE). There have been cases reported where CO2 on the inlet of filters has attacked the filter rubber seals. The seals either "melt" or stiffen up and crack depending on what type of rubber they are made from, in the presence of CO2. I once used air line one way valve in my CO2 system and the rubber flaps of the valve eventually melted and blocked the CO2 flow.

Thanks for all the input, I have decided to go the route of reactor instead because my jbl filter burps enough as it is (perhaps from ingesting the Co2 bubbles floating around my tank), let alone with Co2 being deliberately pushed through it. I thought I might look at the Aquamedic one after payday.

Back