• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 legislation rumour - Anyone else heard this?

Steve Smith

I visited one of my LFS's on Saturday and whilst in conversation, and after I mentioned plants and CO2, he said he could order CO2 stuff in, but doesn't have the room for it (small shop). Great I thought! Anyway, he continued on to say that one of his other customers who uses CO2 at the local college (in planted tanks I believe) said that the government will be bringing in new laws at the end of the year to do with using CO2.

He claimed that pressurised CO2 will have to be mixed with another gas (not specified) to the tune of about 50/50 both gasses. This he claims is to do with being more environmentally friendly etc etc (which he claims is government spin anyway).

This to me sounds like speculation rather than fact, or that he has gotten the wrong end of the stick. He did claim this chap was already testing mixes so that they were "ready" for the new laws when they come into effect.

Anyone else heard anything at all along these lines? I thought it was better to check, even if I do think its twoddle ;)

This could be true with welding but don't think the soft drink and beer manufacturers would be too happy about that.

James

I'll contradict you and (I think) put this one to bed.

Some welding uses only CO2!!! also some welding plants are made to use seperate bottles and not a mix of argon/CO2.

Therefore if they were to bring this in then some types of welding would not be possible anymore. Not too sure of the types of welding that do only use CO2 as I am only a welder's mate.

Also they would be forcing a lot of welders who have a seperate bottle setup to upgrade al their equipment which would defo lose them the election if they rely on welders. lol.

There can't be any environmental aspect in mixing the argon and CO2 because you still need the same amount of each wether they be mixed or seperate. Wastage can be the only factor considered here.

As for fire extinguishers I can't see any alternative as every business in the UK that has one would (I asume) have to change them.

I think its a student just back from the daily trip to the opium den!!!

I shall search on google a little to confirm all the above. (and see if this rumour is elsewher)

Andy

This is what I thought. I couldn't see how this would even work, after all, a CO2 extinguisher has a specific purpose, to restrict oxygen and put out a fire. If your FE is half CO2 and half something else, it's not necessarily going to be as effecting :lol:

Back