• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 levels after pruning

CeeJay

Hi all.
I had to have a major trim and thin out of a rather large Nesaea Pedicellata at my last water change because it was getting a bit unruly. The following day I noticed my drop checker had gone bright yellow :wideyed: . Fortunately, no casualties :D .
Could trimming one large plant have such a dramatic effect on the CO2 levels? If it could, the old Nesaea P. must be a greedy bugger :lol: because DC was lime green before the trim. This is the first time I've seen this :? .

Chris.

Chris,
This should be an object lesson on how important CO2 is to the growth of plants and how much they actually consume.

MEMO TO WORLD LEADERS: Worried about greenhouse gasses? Plant more trees!

Cheers,

Hi Clive
Thanks for the reply. Suspicions confirmed.
After thinking about it and applying logic to this query, I figured this could be the only answer. After all, this was the only significant change to the tank at that particular water change. I just didn't think the change would be so dramatic that's all :wideyed: .
Only being 4 months in to my planted tank expedition, I'm still learning, so there's something else for the memory bank. :D
Thanks.

Chris

it surprising isnt it?!
i use a ph meter (not to control the co2 but just as a low level safety cut off, if that makes sense) it also means i can see the ph anytime (i know things other than co2 influence it, but it gives me a good "idea" of the co2 levels at any given time)
after a major trim yesterday the co2 reached the cut off within 2 hours. previously it hadn't got anywhere near that in the 8 hours the co2 was on!
altho as mentioned in other threads, water disturbance can also affect the co2 levels, as the week goes on and water evaporates, more surface disturbance can result and therefore more co2 gasses off! so before and after a trim and water change the co2 levels can vary by a substantial amount!

Back