• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 meets return pump

Andrew Butler

I'm looking for some input or opinion on the best way to inject the CO2 into my AIO (All In One) aquarium.

I've only a certain amount of room to play with which rules out a reactor, I'm not keen on a needle/pinwheel impeller as I've always been happy with the Jecod/Jebao return pumps in the past the way they are.

I do have a Bazooka diffuser which could sit in front of the intake ( no room for a funnel so sorry @foxfish ) but for the pump to sit naturally I couldn't have the inlet guard on the pump.

I'm seeing the options of:
-not using the inlet guard as all
-putting the pump itself on something to elevate it enough to run the Bazooka below with the intake guard on. (I do need to double check the pump would still sit 'naturally'
-Something else?

I'm not over keen on running an inline diffuser between the pump and outlet and if I was to run one before I'm not really doing much different to I already could be.

Any ideas and input welcome.
Thanks

20200423_145437.jpg
20200423_145448.jpg
20200423_145528.jpg
20200423_145551.jpg
20200423_150504.jpg
20200423_150209.jpg

Thanks for the input @Zeus. and @foxfish

I think I should have at least got the smaller bazooka in hindsight, may have helped a little; its unused still so need to decide if it's worth a trial.
I'm yet to try it at all so I could just see what happens and have a bit of trial and error from there.

I did have another thought which is yet to be even measured out but would involve some rigid plumbing connected to the pump intake and diverting it in an almost inverted 'U' type fashion; feeding both the flow and CO2 in at the same point.
*This may require a visual but if I've got the parts there's nothing like seeing it in real*

I'm not over keen on facing the pump downwards as it runs almost silently in a room I sleep in but the above might allow me to combine the 2 ideas.

Just need to see what rigid I have both fittings and size.

Any further thoughts on that?

upload_2020-4-24_7-48-4.jpeg

Same pump, smaller diffuser. No bubbles missed, could hear a mouse fart. Whether there’s a better way, there surely is, but have found this to be effective enough @Andrew Butler

Hope you’re keeping well.

View attachment 133888

Same pump, smaller diffuser. No bubbles missed, could hear a mouse fart. Whether there’s a better way, there surely is, but have found this to be effective enough @Andrew Butler

Hope you’re keeping well.
I was hoping you would comment!
That's a nice pump ;) - they truly are that quiet aren't they?
I knew I'd ordered the wrong size Bazooka's when they arrived. :banghead:
The pump probably won’t be silent when the gas is running .
I guess there's only one way to find out for me; @Geoffrey Rea has the same pump as I do.
So there will be a downward current, which will help keep the bubbles down :thumbup:

But @Geoffrey Rea pic shows the pump copes very well with it :D
Trial and error (and maybe the smaller diffuser) will be the way forward I think but lets hope.:)

Or get rid of the diffuser and stick the bare pipe end through the intake guard. I do this and it results in a very fine mist in the tank, but it does make the pump noisier.
Thanks, I'd thought about this but not overkeen if I can make things less visible and keep the pump running quieter.

Had a look and I think I could just about squeeze something into the 25mm that was rigid and direct that straight upwards.
Just need to think through design though and even if it's needed given the eperience @Geoffrey Rea has of it.

Just a very rough outline, I can add CO2 anywhere and add tee's etc; I just want the feed to be from the bottom really.
Almost a kind of reactor, picture just to illustrate and a very rough outline with no details etc thought through whatsoever but just the general idea.
I've got loads of 6mm push fit fitting if needed too.
*not thought through @foxfish haha ;)

CO2 INJECTION.jpg

I dont think you will need a smaller diffuser
I think you're probably right (as usual) @Geoffrey Rea planted the idea a while back.
I've had to link in a video from my google to show you the video and the difference being on/off makes and the noise it makes too (the loud clangs are me pressing a little
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WS9wfzsrgLzhXVUh7
I've plenty of opportunity to play but I could try to rigid fit something that plays on @foxfish method of an upturned funnel but would need some tinkering with and follow more of a shape like above so suggestions/ideas welcome.

Back