• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Needle Valve Recommendation . . .

Wookii

I currently have the CO2 Art Elite regulator, set for a standard 30psi working pressure. It's works absolutely fine other than I find the adjustment range for the needle valve is absolutely tiny. For example the difference between, say 1 bps, and a completely unmeasurable stream of bubbles is a tiny fraction of a turn on the valve. Literally just touching the the valve dial can significantly change the bubble rate.

Can anyone recommend a higher grade needle valve that has a much higher accuracy and adjustment range. Literally something with enough range that a complete rotation of the valve dial results in no more than a doubling of the bubble rate or similar?

I managed to damage my needle valves, however I just got some from RS components for peanuts, depends on which needle valves your after and on the size/threads of the fittings. Have you got a pic of your present needle valves?

I managed to damage my needle valves, however I just got some from RS components for peanuts, depends on which needle valves your after and on the size/threads of the fittings. Have you got a pic of your present needle valves?

Hi mate, its the stock one on the CO2 Art Elite Reg:

-Series_0c37e3b2-2916-46f1-8f64-321db3116fc7_1200x.jpg

You got a link to the RS ones you've bought?

I've seen this one at CO2 Super market which claims to be precision: https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/precision-camozzi-flow-controller-customiser-p331.html

full-view.jpg

I have the same problem controling flow from my regulator so I have this:
Amazon product ASIN B07L3MHWZJOn order just now so will update you when it comes if it is any good.

Worst case I can set this and then leave it set and just turn the regulator off and on as needed.

I've tried that style of needle valve Dave, they are the same as the CO2 Art ones in terms of very coarse adjustment range.

The problem with the mass produced regulators for the hobby is the cheap parts used. In this case, the needle valve. A lot of the needle valves we have are not designed for low flow, hence the minor adjustment leading to a million bubbles per second! Or worse, “floating,” Which means the valve self adjusts over time altering your setting. There are excellent “low flow” valves out there but they come at a price.

The problem with the mass produced regulators for the hobby is the cheap parts used. In this case, the needle valve. A lot of the needle valves we have are not designed for low flow, hence the minor adjustment leading to a million bubbles per second! Or worse, “floating,” Which means the valve self adjusts over time altering your setting. There are excellent “low flow” valves out there but they come at a price.

Yep - the Chell one I linked to above . . . £295 + VAT :eek:

Here’s a comprehensive list put together on Tom Barr’s website of all the reputable low flow valves. https://barrreport.com/threads/metering-needle-valves-for-our-diy-co2-system.8132/

Thanks, yeah I did skim through that earlier today - it’s where I saw the Chell valve mentioned - I read the thread and hoped for some sort of conclusion as which were the best ones, but I don’t think it got to that stage, so I’ll have to check out all those that don’t don’t have negative comments on their operation.

Have you installed/used those valves yet? If so, how accurate it the flow control (e.g. how many turns to double the bubble rate)?
I have been using them for years, I had no issues with them when they was fitted, I do have a mega bubble rate so cant remember how sensitive they was, plus I use the working PSI to control the CO2 injection rate.

I've decided to try one of the Camozzi RFO-382 units from CO2 Supermarket. I'll report back once I've tried it. If that doesn't work out then I may have to stump up for one of the more expensive industrial units.

OK, so I’ve received and installed the Camozzi needle valve:

361D5BAE-97CE-4A89-AADD-3A975E9A327F.jpeg

It’s quite a good little unit - changes require a fair bit of rotary force and it also has a locking nut to prevent any adjustment in error once the correct level has been set.

Its not perfect, the adjustment range isn’t as wide as I’d like to make really smooth adjustments, but it’s infinitely better that the stock CO2 Art one, and more than good enough for twenty quid.

Back