• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 query

Ash J

Hi all,

I've recently set co2 up in my scape (well about 3 weeks ago) as I wanted to make sure I got everything running correctly before I do a rescape of the tank.

I've been playing around with positioning and although the drop checker isn't quite lime green on lights on by lunch time it is. I recently changed the positioning of the spray bar so it sprays across the tank from than back to front. What I've noticed is that I've got alot of co2 bubbles collecting on the surface and read this is down to poor surface agitation. However, I believe I have quite decent surface agitation (you can see on the pics below the ripples are clearly visible).

My question is, are the surface bubbles an issue? Would I actually benefit from a surface skimmer and if so where would it be best placed in the tank? By lights off (co2 goes off an hour 1/2 before this) the co2 on the surface has completely diffused.

Much appreciated

Ash

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_153526.jpg
    IMG_20220120_153526.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20220120_153450.jpg
    IMG_20220120_153450.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220120_153424.jpg
    IMG_20220120_153424.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
The surface bubbles indeed indicate that you have a film on the surface that is hindering effective gaseous exchange. A skimmer would be a good remedy for this. You want to get all the sources of flow in your tank to point in roughly the same direction, so that they are aiding each other instead of battling each other. With your spray bar located on the left, I would suggest you also place the skimmer on the left side, with the flow from it going towards the right side

Back