• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 reactor air

I was always curious what the results would be If you put an inline difusser prior to the external reactor to "atomize" the bubbles.
Do you have any experience on that ?
That's what I use and in my case it works good (injecting 2bps and low flow inside the reactor).
I see only the very smallest of bubbles in the water column and very few at that.

If you are using a powerful filter and/or a small reactor I could see most of the bubbles, being tiny in size, flowing right through the reactor and ending up in the tank, thus defeating the purpose of the reactor.

Last edited:
If you get a reactor long enough you dont get any bubble into the aquarium. The co2 fully dissolve which make it easier to move around the tank.

You may need a bigger pump with a bigger reactor since the flow is reduced due to the lenght of the path the water have to travel.

Bigger the size of the bubble of co2, the quicker it reach to top of the tank so less available to the plants.

I was always curious what the results would be If you put an inline difusser prior to the external reactor to "atomize" the bubbles.
Do you have any experience on that ?
Yes I have done that.

It can work well however if bubbles are to small they can get passed the reactor - which is flow dependant. Bigger bubbles less likely to get through but CO2 uptake is slower esp if agitation in the reactor is low, which is why @foxfish had great success with his reactor and the vortex of uptake IMO

an inline difusser prior to the external reactor to "atomize" the bubbles.
This was my previous setup but all my plastic atomisers kept leaking!!! During the operation, it looked like there was some bubble escape to the tank. It all depends on flow, size of reactor and bubble size etc therefore no harm in experimenting.

Would this external reactor work well for a 54 litre tank with a Oase Biomaster 250 thermo filter rated at 900 litres per hour and a spray bar output ensuring sufficient surface agitation as well ?

Back