• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 reactor issues

oatfish

Hi, I had this question in my Journal but I tihnk it would be better to ask it here:
At the moment I have an external CO2 reactor but it tends to fill about 1/4 with CO2 which then bubbles in big bubbles out through the filter outflow! I have it on the inflow pipe so it also rattles through the filter. I am considering changing it for 2 rhinox diffusers instead - what do you think? I am wondering if this would save CO2 too as I am pumping it in at a fair rate (too many bubbles per sec to count). No fish gassing though! I upped it slowly to make sure, but I think too much CO2 is exiting the tank for me to gas the fish anyway :rolleyes:

A reactor is generally considered to be more efficient, so having to blast it in sounds like it's not doing it's job properly maybe? What reactor is it? It would be worth trying it on the outflow/return to tank side and see if it makes a difference. Reactors usually build up a bit of an air pocket, which is why some of the more expensive ones tend to have a little release valve I believe.

You could try having a diffuser under the filter inlet and see how that works. Quite a few people on here do this. Whenever I have in the past I get a lot of "burping" from my filter though :rolleyes:

You may find that your filter output is insufficient. I ran my Aquamas reactor with an EX700 and got a fair bit of gas build up by the end of the day. Now I have changed the connectors and put it with an EX1200 all the bubbles are rapidly dissolved.

Dave.

Ah ok, thanks, my filter is rated at 1400lph (although I am aware it is probably half this, it's on a 200l tank). I can't really afford to upgrade the filter, I have an internal also to provide more flow (total "manufacturer rated turnover" is 1400 + 800 = 2200lph)

It's a home made jobby, my previous reactor (on a 800lph filter) worked great tho, no burping, but I had to make a new one as the filter I upgraded to had larger piping. I might fit an diffuser in the reactor itself and see what happens! I'll keep ypu posted....

It seems to me that your filter should be up to the job. Perhaps there is a problem with your design of the reactor?

Dave.

Yes, I suspect it is my design! I'll re jig some bits or make a new one with an airstone inside to see how that goes.
Thanks for all your helpful replies

Back