• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 reactor on Inlet side of filter

lawrencezarb

Due to the layout of my cabinet I want to connect my CEG CO2 reactor to the inlet side of my Eheim external filter rather than the outlet side.

Is there any detrimental effect of doing this, is it less effective at "holding" the CO2 in the water?

On the inlet side the reactor will receive unfiltered water which will contain detritus so will need cleaning more often. I have my reactors post filter and haven't cleaned them in over a year and last time I cleaned them they was pretty clean after a long period.

Good point, but I can fit and probably will fit it after a large pre filter containing course and media filter mat and filter floss. This is the reason I need it on the inlet side so I can fit a larger prefilter.

I can fit and probably will fit it after a large pre filter containing course and media filter mat and filter floss

so then its post filter ;) all I have in my filter is course and medium foam and some ceramic media, be careful with filter floss - as it may polish the water great it has a big impact on the flow rate and soon clogs ups. Pre-filters normally just have course foam. Flow is KING in the high tech tank so make sure you have enough.

Its post mechanical filter, but pre biological... The exisiting pre filter clogs quickly, and I need to clean once a week...that is why I am seeking for a larger unit hence this thread as cabinet space is premium. Should I remove the filter floss, or look for a larger pump?

All filter media are Biological as all it takes is to have a surface the bacteria can live on. Biological media is class as biological as it will have a massive surface area to volume ratio, but media with a lower surface area to volume ratio is still biological.

Also worth pointing out that in an established tank the plant roots have a massive biological surface so going for a large surface with media for biological filtration in a planted tank can be counter productive as it reduces the flow rate though the filter.

I would remove the filter floss and just use it if you want some tank pics, plus in a high tech tank you will be doing weekly big WCs which also cleans/polishes the water.

Having a filter with a lot of biological filtration is mainly for tanks with a lot of fish or fish only.

Planted tanks have much more detritus so need more WCs and filter cleaning, I clean my filter normally every week

Back