• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Reactors?

FISHnLAB

Hi guys, I am interested in CO2 Reactors and would prefer to try one over an inline diffuser on my first high tech setup. My concerns are noise and bubbles. I would like it as close to silent as possible with no visible bubbles in the water column. Is this achievable? What is the best style of reactor to achieve this? Is there a good pre-made option with these attributes? Where is a descent guide available on the science behind these and DIY designs/plans? Thanks guys👍.

Well you wont get a single fixed answer as there are so many opinions and plenty of designs too.
There are hundred or thousands of post on the forum relating to reactors as it is a topical subject!
However… yes, there are quiet operating reactors and yes, there are commercial ones available although it might depend on if you own a 20 gal or a 200 gal tank?

Well you wont get a single fixed answer as there are so many opinions and plenty of designs too.
Yes, that always seams to be the case with this hobby lol. I guess I'm just looking for some good discussions, information, and general design principles in case I decide to DYI. Also, some pre-made options, suitable for my wants and application, in case I want to save time.
There are hundred or thousands of post on the forum relating to reactors as it is a topical subject!
However… yes, there are quiet operating reactors and yes, there are commercial ones available although it might depend on if you own a 20 gal or a 200 gal tank?
Well, this particular project will be installed on a UNS 60U(20 Gallon). It will go on the output of a Fluval 207 and feed to a Aquario Neo Flow pipe with a Neo Reliever outlet...
20221115_133048.jpg

Thanks for the help👍.

I guess I'm just looking for some good discussions, information, and general design principles
I've no knowledge about them personally, but this thread may offer you some answers.

I built my own cerges reactor based on the instructions from the barr report article linked below.

My modifications included using plastic pipe fittings, and cutting a small piece of 16/22 hose at a 45degree angle to fit inside the head to divert the inlet flow downwards.
I also removed the foam inside the reactor as it blocks over time and doesnt seem to make any difference to the diffusion.
I find it very quiet and no bubbles in the tank. Total cost including fittings was £25.
I originally had it on a 300l tank and connected to a 3000l/hr pump and there was some some noise if the CO2 rate was high. I found the clear acrylic became frosted after a while even though there was a prefilter on the inlet. Now its on my 200l powered by an Oase 850 and there is no noise except for a few minutes when air gets in the system after cleaning.
I didn't take any photos during assembly but this is one insitu.

20221201_095109.jpg

Hope this helps.

I built my own cerges reactor based on the instructions from the barr report article linked below.

My modifications included using plastic pipe fittings, and cutting a small piece of 16/22 hose at a 45degree angle to fit inside the head to divert the inlet flow downwards.
I also removed the foam inside the reactor as it blocks over time and doesnt seem to make any difference to the diffusion.
I find it very quiet and no bubbles in the tank. Total cost including fittings was £25.
I originally had it on a 300l tank and connected to a 3000l/hr pump and there was some some noise if the CO2 rate was high. I found the clear acrylic became frosted after a while even though there was a prefilter on the inlet. Now its on my 200l powered by an Oase 850 and there is no noise except for a few minutes when air gets in the system after cleaning.
I didn't take any photos during assembly but this is one insitu.

View attachment 198313
Hope this helps.
Thank you, it does👍.

Back