• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Refill Weight?

Nick72

What should I expect in terms of weight of CO2 when the LFS refills my CO2 Cylinders?

Here are my thoughts.

Example - I have a 3 Liter CO2 cylinder with an empty weight of 2.3kg.

3 Liters of CO2 should weigh 3.042 KG according to this chart: http://www.airproducts.com/Products...ht-and-volume-equivalents/carbon-dioxide.aspx

Let's call it 3Kg.

The safety limit on a CO2 cylinder is 68%.

Therefore my fully refilled cylinder should weight 2.3Kg (empty weight) + ((3Kg x 0.68) = 2.048Kg), so total full weight = empty weight 2.3Kg + CO2 weight 2Kg =4.3Kg

I ask this because the last 3 times I came home with a refill of this 3 liter cylinder it weighed 4.240kg, 4.120kg and 3.870kg.

Is there anything I'm missing around specific weight or density / temperature or pressure?

(correction my cylinder weighs 2.3Kg empty - updated above)

Last edited:
Hi @Nick72

In the UK, the 'norm' seems to be to stick with weights only, not volumes. So, it couldn't be simpler. If I buy a 500g 'cylinder', I am buying 500g of liquified CO2. Volume never enters into it. I haven't needed to buy CO2 for many months but that's what I remember and I can't see why anything should have changed.

JPC

Hi @Nick72

In the UK, the 'norm' seems to be to stick with weights only, not volumes. So, it couldn't be simpler. If I buy a 500g 'cylinder', I am buying 500g of liquified CO2. Volume never enters into it. I haven't needed to buy CO2 for many months but that's what I remember and I can't see why anything should have changed.

JPC

Hi JPC,

Do you refill your 500g cylinders?

Is 500g the cylinder volume or the amount the cylinder can hold after 68% safety factor?

Have you ever weighed your cylinder both empty then full?

Hi JPC,

Do you refill your 500g cylinders?

Is 500g the cylinder volume or the amount the cylinder can hold after 68% safety factor?

Have you ever weighed your cylinder both empty then full?

Hi @Nick72

Yes, my 500g cylinder is refillable.

I have never needed to consider 'safety factor' - that's probably relevant to whoever refills my cylinders. I'd provide a link to the JBL web site showing my cylinder but it would only confuse as it shows a collection of cylinders!

Yes, I always weighed my cylinder - both empty and full. I don't have my notes handy but, going from memory, my 500g cylinder was 2.3kg empty and 2.8kg when full.

Hope that helps.

JPC

Hi @Nick72

Yes, my 500g cylinder is refillable.

I have never needed to consider 'safety factor' - that's probably relevant to whoever refills my cylinders. I'd provide a link to the JBL web site showing my cylinder but it would only confuse as it shows a collection of cylinders!

Yes, I always weighed my cylinder - both empty and full. I don't have my notes handy but, going from memory, my 500g cylinder was 2.3kg empty and 2.8kg when full.

Hope that helps.

JPC

Going off thread a little here, but I'm suprised your 500g cylinder weighs 2.3kg empty.

That's the same empty weight as my 3 liter (3Kg) cylinder.

023CFA0A-E8C4-45D4-990A-310EA0BB9112.jpeg

Hi @Nick72

I've just dug out my CO2 cylinder. It's a JBL Pro Flora m500 and it weighs 2.3kg empty. The cylinder is made from a magnetic material as magnets stick to it. I would guess that it's steel. I have now found a suitable link:

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/7372/jbl-proflora-m500-silver

You would appear to have an ISTA cylinder. This one, perhaps:

http://www.istaproducts.com/product/co2-aluminum-cylinder-3l/

The ISTA cylinder is made from aluminium/aluminum, which is obviously going to be a lot lighter than steel.

JPC

Hi @Nick72

I've just dug out my CO2 cylinder. It's a JBL Pro Flora m500 and it weighs 2.3kg empty. The cylinder is made from a magnetic material as magnets stick to it. I would guess that it's steel. I have now found a suitable link:

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/7372/jbl-proflora-m500-silver

You would appear to have an ISTA cylinder. This one, perhaps:

http://www.istaproducts.com/product/co2-aluminum-cylinder-3l/

The ISTA cylinder is made from aluminium/aluminum, which is obviously going to be a lot lighter than steel.

JPC

I did wonder if it might be steel knowing that mine is aluminum and lighter than steel. Still surprises me that a 500g capacity steel cylinder weighs as much as a 3Kg capacity aluminum one.

The wondrous weight saving of ali then.

I did wonder if it might be steel knowing that mine is aluminum and lighter than steel. Still surprises me that a 500g capacity steel cylinder weighs as much as a 3Kg capacity aluminum one.

Hi @Nick72

Steel would appear to be approximately three times denser than aluminium/aluminum. But, then, there's the cylinder wall thickness to take into account and we don't know that. Nor do we need to. The figures speak for themselves.

JPC

Back