• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Source

Benauld

Seedling
Hi guys,

Well, I'm still a good deal away from setting up anything yet, but I'm using my time wisely to do lots of research. Whilst I was looking at possible CO2 sources I came across something called "food grade" CO2.

Does anyone know exactly how this differs from the CO2 in fire extinguishers, etc? Is there a difference in quality, and if so, is this negligible?

Food grade co2 has less impurities, I think the gas used in fire extinguishers etc is 99% pure and then the food grade stuff is 99.9 or something, food grade is used in beer brewing etc, you can use either for the planted tank.

Thanks for the replies!

It does make me wonder what those impurities are though... I'll have to do a bit more digging when I have time. :bookworm:

Hi all,
It does make me wonder what those impurities are though... I'll have to do a bit more digging when I have time
They are usually some combination of nitrogen, ammonia, benzene, oxygen, argon and carbon monoxide, but all in absolute trace amounts. This link, to ammonia production, explains how the <"CO2 is produced during the Haber process">.
.....a solution of an ethanolamine, often 2,2'-(methylimino)bis-ethanol (N-methyl diethanolamine).

The carbon dioxide is released on heating the solution in the carbon dioxide stripper. Much of it is liquefied and sold, for example, for carbonated drinks, as a coolant for nuclear power stations and for promoting the growth of plants in <"greenhouses">.......
I think that even industrial grade CO2 is 99.5% pure.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed response Darrel, although I'm not sure I understand much of the information in your link! :confused:

Benzene and carbon monoxide? That kind of sounds like tobacco smoke!

Thank you everyone for the advice :)

Back