• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 supplementation for emersed growing

louis_last

I noticed that there is a very old thread from 2014 which raised this issue and the concensus seemed to be that it made no difference and/or wasn't worth the effort as the 400ppm of atmospheric co2 is more than adequate for emersed growth. That thread quickly devolved into a debate about global warming which isn't my intention so I wanted to start another to report that after some experimentation I have found it makes a huge difference - at least when growing various mosses emersed on lava rock. I can't comment on vascular plants but it's certainly the case that co2 supplementation is routinely employed in the commercial growth of various vascular plants including cannabis and I strongly suspect that many aquarium plants would also benefit in emersed setups.
I think something people may overlook is the fact that to sustain appropriate humidity levels in emersed setups we are often reducing air exchange to an extent that could potentially lead to co2 depletion particularly when longer photperiods are deployed to speed up growth. I certainly was anyway. I've also read that some plants at least can exploit up to 1600ppm CO2.

I'm growing various mosses and liverworts on lava rock in an emersed setup where the rocks sit on flat pieces of slate supported just above the water level in the bottom of the container that is maintained at around 5cm. This allows me to use of an ultrasonic fogger to maintain near enough 100% humidity and distribute nutrients to the moss. Previously the top was sealed with clingfilm and the only air exchange came when I peeled back the cling in order to closely inspect the moss and I began wondering whether the system might benefit from co2 supplementation.
I rigged up an inexpensive diy system using 250g of sugar dissolved in 350ml of water with one sachet of gelatin which I allowed to sit in a 2L bottle until it had set and then added 1L of water with a teaspoon of dried yeast before running an airline through a tight fitting hole in the side of my emersed setup. At night I just pull the air line out of the hole to interrupt the co2 supply when I turn the light off and, being so small, the hole doesn't lead to a problematic drop in humidity overnight and allows for a little extra oxygen to enter the growth chamber during the hours of darkness. The system introduces between 1 bubble every 8 seconds and 1 bubble every 18 seconds as ambient temperatures in the room fluctuate.
The results have been fantastic and within a couple of days I noticed a real increase in growth. It's obviously hard to quantify but the improvement is pretty unambiguous. I did consider that my moss and liverwort rocks which have all been started using material finely chopped with scissors (blender is way too destructive just fyi and leads to an excess of dead matter that encourages bacteria and fungi) could have just been maturing to a stage where their growth visibly accelerated anyway but I rule this out on the basis that the rocks are all home to different species, that were chopped up and introduced at different points, and a real noticeable improvement is evident in all of them. It could be the case that a lower ph of the water is responsible for the improvement but it seems more reasonable to assume that the concentration of co2 is the real culprit. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing what levels in ppm I'm achieving with this method or at what rate it's being converted into oxygen in the growth chamber but I just thought someone might be interested to know that it definitely does seem to produce appreciably faster growth - at least in these more primitive plant species. Interestingly the species of springtail that I include in the setup to help prevent mold and algae seems unaffected by the extra co2 where I had expected it to kill them which I suppose might support the notion that the moss is able to effectively exploit the higher concentrations and is producing sufficient oxygen to prevent co2 accumulating to fatal levels.
I imagine these plants might struggle more with a sudden transition to submerged growth so I would plan to discontinue the co2 at least a week before submerging them.

I hope this information might be useful to anyone trying to multiply slower growing species of moss and liverwort faster for larger or more moss intensive aquascapes I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has experimented with co2 supplementation for emersed setups or during the dry start method since 2014 and had positive or negative results.

If anyone prefers instead to debate global warming then obviously it goes without saying that things have changed since 2014 and the starting point for that conversation necessarily must be that Trump proved that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by satanic paedos and that he's still in charge of America, operating from an underground base with the cooperation of the military and JFK junior as his VP, and that they are coordinating with aliens to deploy environmental technology recovered from the lab of Nichola Tesla after his death by Trumps uncle, and MIT professor, John G Trump.

I think something people may overlook is the fact that to sustain appropriate humidity levels in emersed setups we are often reducing air exchange to an extent that could potentially lead to co2 depletion particularly when longer photperiods are deployed to speed up growth.
This is why most vivariums, grow tents etc (including mine) employ fans and passive/active ventilation. There's a big difference between humid air and stagnant air - most plants will hate the stagnant air! Even with the fans, my humidity runs between 80 - 100% humidity.

Hi all,
I can't comment on vascular plants but it's certainly the case that co2 supplementation is routinely employed in the commercial growth of various vascular plants including cannabis and I strongly suspect that many aquarium plants would also benefit in emersed setups.
I'd guess that all plants would benefit from higher CO2 levels.
If anyone prefers instead to debate global warming
I remember the thread. But I think this is, pretty <"conclusively, debate over"> - <"Hottest Years on Record">.
I'm growing various mosses and liverworts on lava rock in an emersed setup where the rocks sit on flat pieces of slate supported just above the water level in the bottom of the container that is maintained at around 5cm. This allows me to use of an ultrasonic fogger to maintain near enough 100% humidity and distribute nutrients to the moss.
Probably about optimal.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
If anyone prefers instead to debate global warming then obviously it goes without saying that things have changed since 2014 and the starting point for that conversation necessarily must be that Trump proved that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by satanic paedos and that he's still in charge of America, operating from an underground base with the cooperation of the military and JFK junior as his VP, and that they are coordinating with aliens to deploy environmental technology recovered from the lab of Nichola Tesla after his death by Trumps uncle, and MIT professor, John G Trump.
Are you standing for election? If <"Edwin Poots"> can become head honcho in Northern Ireland you must have every chance.
....The Democratic Unionist party has entrusted its future to a man who does not quite believe in the past. Edwin Poots is a young Earth creationist who thinks the planet is 6,000 years old.......

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I think something people may overlook is the fact that to sustain appropriate humidity levels in emersed setups we are often reducing air exchange to an extent that could potentially lead to co2 depletion particularly when longer photperiods are deployed to speed up growth. I certainly was anyway. I've also read that some plants at least can exploit up to 1600ppm CO2.
Great post and this, i've recently moved into emerse and semi emerse Cryptocoryne growing, initailly as a way of combatting any mould issues i did leave a approx 2cm gap on the top glass sliding coverson one tank and 6cm on another, this of course as you say has a benefit of allowing more co2 to reach the plants.
I did think of adding co2 to the water but at low water levels circa 5 cm i presumed it's liable to dissolve to quickly to be of much benifit though ? If i read correctly your adding the co2 to the air inside the tanks and not water ?

Great post and this, i've recently moved into emerse and semi emerse Cryptocoryne growing, initailly as a way of combatting any mould issues i did leave a approx 2cm gap on the top glass sliding coverson one tank and 6cm on another, this of course as you say has a benefit of allowing more co2 to reach the plants.
I did think of adding co2 to the water but at low water levels circa 5 cm i presumed it's liable to dissolve to quickly to be of much benifit though ? If i read correctly your adding the co2 to the air inside the tanks and not water ?
Correct. None of my moss is in direct contact with the water anyway but rather the ultrasonic fogger creates a layer of dense fog every four hours that keeps it fairly saturated and distributes nutrients that I do add directly to the water as in some aeroponic growing systems for more sophisticated plants.

This is why most vivariums, grow tents etc (including mine) employ fans and passive/active ventilation. There's a big difference between humid air and stagnant air - most plants will hate the stagnant air! Even with the fans, my humidity runs between 80 - 100% humidity.
Very true. I grow various orchids and bromeliads in a large vivarium also and I've seen first hand the benefits of additional passive ventilation in terms of minimizing mold just from installing a low wattage solar raptor heat strip beneath the door vent.
I have seen a lot of people growaing plants emersed in almost totally sealed propagators or plastic storage bins and describing dry start tanks sealed with clingfilm as I had done here. It might have been interesting to see whether simply improving air exchange would have delivered comparable benefits though.
One of the reasons I was using a more or less completely sealed environment here with the fogger is that a specific tiny fissidens species I'm growing seems to require essentially permanent saturation and even small drops in humidity appear to negatively impact its growth. I suppose one solution could be to time a small fan so that ventilation was only provided while the fogger is running.
One of the things that set me thinking about this and lead me to the 2014 thread was a friend experimenting with a co2 meter in his home. I was surprised by how much levels varied depending on different variables even in relatively unsealed rooms and this is what causes me to suspect that co2 could fall to levels that might slow growth even in a very humid grow chamber even with passive ventilation, particularly when brighter lights and longer photperiods come into play.
Are you tending to use fans more for air circulation within or actual ventilation from outside? I've only ever used inline fans for grow tents, for some reason I've just never used them in vivariums or emersed setups but maybe it's time I did!

Interseting subject…. I have grown hundreds of emersed plants set ups over a many years and always favored the sealed lid method.
My own reasoning is that is has worked very well for me, much faster growth that I could ever achieve in a water filled tank.
So I have never seen a reason to add additional air or C02, of course that is not say one could not achieve even better results!
However the simple ease of a sealed tank really appeals to me, you just plant and walk away for a few weeks and then harvest your crops with no hassle.
The main disadvantage is the steamed up glass due the the condensation.
Some folk like to open the lid every day, spray ferts and generally titivate, I am all up for that as well as it forms part of out hobby, I just dont think there is any need.
In fact, I even have hair grass, sealed tank left running outside from early summer, I must check it out ……

Just seen this product, obvuiosly much more expensive than Op's diy method

Very true. I grow various orchids and bromeliads in a large vivarium also and I've seen first hand the benefits of additional passive ventilation in terms of minimizing mold just from installing a low wattage solar raptor heat strip beneath the door vent.
I have seen a lot of people growaing plants emersed in almost totally sealed propagators or plastic storage bins and describing dry start tanks sealed with clingfilm as I had done here. It might have been interesting to see whether simply improving air exchange would have delivered comparable benefits though.
One of the reasons I was using a more or less completely sealed environment here with the fogger is that a specific tiny fissidens species I'm growing seems to require essentially permanent saturation and even small drops in humidity appear to negatively impact its growth. I suppose one solution could be to time a small fan so that ventilation was only provided while the fogger is running.
One of the things that set me thinking about this and lead me to the 2014 thread was a friend experimenting with a co2 meter in his home. I was surprised by how much levels varied depending on different variables even in relatively unsealed rooms and this is what causes me to suspect that co2 could fall to levels that might slow growth even in a very humid grow chamber even with passive ventilation, particularly when brighter lights and longer photperiods come into play.
Are you tending to use fans more for air circulation within or actual ventilation from outside? I've only ever used inline fans for grow tents, for some reason I've just never used them in vivariums or emersed setups but maybe it's time I did!
I have fans for both internal air movement and air exchange with outside, both AC Infinity fans on timers. You can see the set up in my signature, it's a plant only tank so no critters to worry about. Many of the plants in the lower section are emersed aquarium plants (Buce, Anubias, mosses etc) and it's taken a while to balance the misting and ventilationbut the mosses in the lower portion rarely lose their damp look.

Interseting subject…. I have grown hundreds of emersed plants set ups over a many years and always favored the sealed lid method.
My own reasoning is that is has worked very well for me, much faster growth that I could ever achieve in a water filled tank.
So I have never seen a reason to add additional air or C02, of course that is not say one could not achieve even better results!
However the simple ease of a sealed tank really appeals to me, you just plant and walk away for a few weeks and then harvest your crops with no hassle.
The main disadvantage is the steamed up glass due the the condensation.
Some folk like to open the lid every day, spray ferts and generally titivate, I am all up for that as well as it forms part of out hobby, I just dont think there is any need.
In fact, I even have hair grass, sealed tank left running outside from early summer, I must check it out ……
Don't get me wrong - my addition of co2 to the emersed setup is totally unecessary and all of the moss was growing without it in a more or less clingiflm sealed environment as you describe here. It may have some value in more rapidly propagating the smaller and much slower growing species though and seems to be having a notably positive impact on my fissidens splachnabryoides which in my experience is the uncontested king of pain in the blahblahblahblah ultra slow growing mosses.

Back in the 60 -80s Guernsey was basically covered in glass due to the huge tomato and flower growing industry.
what I find interesting, the vineries that grew tomatoes, would pump in huge amounts of C02 but, one ones growing flowers, grapes, strawberrys or Kiwis would not.
I dont know the reason, it could just be the tomato growers had more money to invest or maybe the other crops did not need it?
When I think on it, the green house workers were at quite high risk, all the plants were sprayed with chemicals, I can remember seeing the packing sheds packed to the ceiling with chemicals all stating ‘Danger’ on every can!
That plus the C02 plus the crazy temperatures and humidity in summer must of made their jobs horrible!

Back