• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2

Nick16

hi, can anyone recomment me a cheap co2 set for a 40 litre tank. i have diffusers but thats notr the end of the world if one is included.

Have a look at some of the threads in this section, there are lots of people describing the kits they have and making comparisons between different methods.

I started a thread a while ago on ebay regulators which might be a start if you decide to take the pressurised route.

for about 70-80 quid you can do a FE kit

20-25 quid for a FE
45-50 for Reg with Counter and valve
3-4 quid of CO2 Tubing
Diffuser you have

ive gone down the FE route for my 240l tank, but i was wondering if there was something small and inexpensive for my 40 litre. apart from diy!

Hagen nutrafin kit works fine for me on a 40l with 28w lights. Should be able to get it for £16-17.

Sometimes the refills that come with it are out of date, and won't work much. If the ones that come with your kit work, great, use them. After that buy a small jar of bicarb and some yeast from the supermarket, and use sugar as directed, a pinch of bicarb and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. Best yeast I've found is Sainsbury's fast acting. It comes in sachets, so when you open one put what you don't need in an airtight container. I find I have to change the solution every 3-4 weeks, and it only takes minutes.

The kit comes with an extremely efficient ladder type diffuser, but if you find this too ugly to live with you can use any other method of diffusion you like - it works fine with ceramic diffusers for example, and you can keep the 'ladder' as a spare, and for when you're bleaching your ceramic diffusers.

Lastly, although the system by it's nature is not really adjustable, one thing I do (especially in winter) is stand the fermentation container on the ballast of my lights - this means it produces more co2 during lights on than at night.

So, how much does a bag of sugar, a packet of yeast and a jar of bicarb cost? And how long will they last you? I can't be doing with working it out, for me it's fine on the 40l. It's certainly cheaper to get started with. Can you put up with changing the solution as needed? If you want a high level of control, and minimum time input then FE is still the way to go. If you're looking for a cheaper to set up system, I'd recommend the Hagen system.

(I haven't used any of the other off the shelf yeast based systems, eg Red Sea or Dennerle, they're probably all as good as each other.)

Cheers

Mark

Are they near eachother??? if so split the system with multiple needle valves and run both of one FE....

no they are opposite ends of the house, 1 upstairs and one downstairs. i might just stick to diy then. i only have 15w lighting so it might not be bright enough in a 10 US gal tank but i cant think of any other way to add light..

Back