• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2

lurcher

I don’t want to use glutaraldehyde in my planted tank,are co2 tablets a successful way to supply co2to a planted tank.?any advice much appreciated.are there any other products that don’t use glutaraldehyde,I have read so many bad things about this item,and do I need to dose co2 at all.the more I read the more confused I get.

Seachem Excel is a polymerised version of gluteraldehyde that is supposedly less toxic due to it breaking down slower than neat gluteraldehyde.

Both CO2 tablets and gluteraldehyde are really in the end very poor sources of CO2, providing only a couple of ppm (parts per million) above naturally atmospheric diffused . Enough to make a difference in plant growth (and algae reduction) but now where near the 30ppm from gaseous CO2 injection.

So if you don't want to use gluteraldehyde based carbon source then gaseous CO2 injection is really the only way to go.

Have look at some the low-tech tanks in people's journals and you will see that you don't need to add CO2 above what the atmosphere provides.
If you do inject CO2 then your plants will grow faster, which is good if you like quick results, but not so good if you don't like trimming. :)
There are also a few plants which you won't be able to grow without injecting CO2 but most suppliers give you the info so you can choose suitable species.
There's no need to get confused, just remember that there's more than one way to achieve a good looking tank.

Hi all,
Have look at some the low-tech tanks in people's journals and you will see that you don't need to add CO2 above what the atmosphere provides.
If you do inject CO2 then your plants will grow faster, which is good if you like quick results, but not so good if you don't like trimming. :)
There are also a few plants which you won't be able to grow without injecting CO2 but most suppliers give you the info so you can choose suitable species.
There's no need to get confused, just remember that there's more than one way to achieve a good looking tank.
Post of the year for me.

cheers Darrel

Back