• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2Art In Line Diffuser or Drop Checker issue?

CalRed

I carried out monthly maintenance on my 90l this week. Filter hoses were swapped out for cleaning. After attaching the new hoses up, I've noticed today that my CO2 drop checker isn't turning lime green anymore.

• Bubble counter working fine
• CO2 line to diffuser exerts gas when removed from diffuser.
• Bubbles are appearing in the tank.
• Leak checks carried out.

Now the reason i'm suggesting it could be a diffuser issue is I've replaced the drop checker solution after cleaning the drop checker itself.

I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. I'm wondering if any dirt may be hampering CO2 release from the ceramic diffuser?
It did fill with water during maintenance and the water disappears when CO2 is switched on as you'd expect.

Attachments

• 16119518264893591381439852064734.jpg
    16119518264893591381439852064734.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 581
It might be the FF:
1) The solution has gone bad (not really sure if it does though)
2) The ceramic is clogged up. You can dip the ceramic in a bleach + water solution or you can purchase a replacement ceramic for the Qanvee.
You can use a pH pen to see if there is still a drop in the pH when the Co2 system is turned on. I've stopped relying on the drop checker in a long time and use the pH pen when I think something is amiss.

Whooops.. I made a mistake. You are using the CO2 art Inline which I mistook for the Qanvee Inline.

It might be the FF:
1) The solution has gone bad (not really sure if it does though)
2) The ceramic is clogged up. You can dip the ceramic in a bleach + water solution or you can purchase a replacement ceramic for the Qanvee.
You can use a pH pen to see if there is still a drop in the pH when the Co2 system is turned on. I've stopped relying on the drop checker in a long time and use the pH pen when I think something is amiss.
I thought the same about the liquid not being the issue but after doing a pH check last night during the CO2 period (6) and one this morning during the no CO2 period (7), it seems that may be the issue.
I'll give the drop checker another clean and change the pre mixed 4dkh solution again to see if that helps matters.

There was a visible difference in the amount of bubbles in the water between the CO2 on and off periods, so am i right in assuming that shows the diffuser is working correctly?

I use one of these diffusers also.
It works very well and is nicely made but I always worry about the joint fitting where the CO2 comes in...its a little dodgy...I had problems there with the tiny O-ring so I wrote to customer care and I have to say they were fantastically helpful...so I would suggest you do the same. Impressive after care. Good luck!

There was a visible difference in the amount of bubbles in the water between the CO2 on and off periods, so am i right in assuming that shows the diffuser is working correctly?
There should be no more bubbles of CO2 in the water column when the solenoid turns off the CO2 flow. Is it possible that the bubbles you are seeing are your plants pearling?

Could be gassing off more,due to increased flow,after filter maintenance
Ill see how it goes over the next few days. Tonight its changed from dark blue to blue/green so maybe it'll improve. Its took a long time to do so though, so somethings still not 100% as my bubble count is about 3bps.

There should be no more bubbles of CO2 in the water column when the solenoid turns off the CO2 flow. Is it possible that the bubbles you are seeing are your plants pearling?
When the solenoid knocks off the bubbles do go away after a few minutes so i'm confident that there is some co2 going in the tank now. I've just no real way of knowing how much other than my bubble counter really. Saying that the drop checker has showed signs of changing tonight albeit not as much as it should.

My drop checker changes to lime green after about 5 hours!! Bps is about 3-4. Something definitely seems off to me. My pre filter is cleaned every week so the flow is always spot on. Water level drops throughout the week but gets topped up after 3 or 4 days. Ive used some moss on a branch as a marker when to top back up.

Back