Cobra!

Dave Spencer

Photographed this weekend in Marrakech. Not quite as cute as the Robin pics. :twisted:

Cobra-2.jpg

Cobra-1.jpg

Dave.

Garuf

I love the picture but I was disappointed it wasn't the cool refreshing beer.
Well done mate, a really stunner of a picture.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
Great pictures Dave!

I remember reading about taking pictures of animals. They say the best way to frame an animal is to give empty space in the direction it is looking, it gives a sense of movement and energy etc, doesn't block the animal in a box so to speak. So if you have the original shots, it might be worth adding/leaving some negative space in the pic to give a better impact.
I like your blah mate.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Great shots, but as mentioned they are too centered unless you cropped them, weel done :)

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice one mate. The open mouth is dramatic. Hope that was taken with the tele :D

Cheers,

Dave Spencer

You could be right about the cropping, Graeme. These pics were just saved for the internet quickly. I still have the uncropped RAW images to play with.

The snake charmer insisted on holding the snake in the air, so I had to keep moving about to avoid a distracting background. I was pretty chuffed with how sharp the images came out.

The pics were taken with a cowardly 70-200mm. :lol:

Dave.

EDIT: Sorry Behold.....camera was a Nikon D700 with a Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8. Most of the pics I took of the snake were at around 100mm.

Dave Spencer

Behold said:
why on a zoom do i loose fstops????

The f stop is the ratio of size of the aperture diameter and focal length. On the less expensive zooms ie Nikon 70-300mm you have a maximum aperture of f4.5 at 70mm and f5.6 at 300mm.

More expensive zooms such as the 70-200mm f2.8 have a maximum aperture of f2.8 throughout the focal range. This requires a lot more glass to achieve and, therefore, more weight and more money. This would be termed a fast lens, and you can rest assured that the light they let in gives a lovely bright view finder.

I use a 50mm f1.4 which will let in four times as much light as a standard f2.8, making it fantastic for indoor photography of the kids without having to use a flash gun.

Dave.