• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coldwater plants

andy

I have just aquired an aqua one AR 980 tank and wouldn't mind setting it up in the conservatory as a coldwater tank. Obviously the temps will fluctuate from very hot in summer down to 10 degrees c in winter.

Are there any "tropical" plants that will be suited to these conditions apart from the run of the mill coldwater plants such as elodea and water hornwart etc ???

many thanks

Andy

I'd just try any you like - as long as you're just taking cuttings etc. form existing tanks, if any of them don't make it you haven't lost anything - and you can put them back in in the Spring!

I've never had a plant that can't survive in an unheated tank in a room, although I've never tried in a conservatory.

Keep a note of what works and what doesn't and post it on here - it'll be useful for other people.

Mark

I've currently got a plastic tub of M.Pteropus sat next to my tank unheated, looks in great condition

I threw some r rotundifolia in a pot last summer and it grew fine till well into october I imagine it'd fine for unheated tanks.

Hmm, the only cold water plants I know are pond plants. Maybe Cabombas would work? I see them every where in North America. Duckweed sure, but they spread like crazy around your entire tank.

Back