• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

collecting rain water for shrimp and fish - what containers do you use?

Lindy

Hi, I've been looking at water butts for collecting rainwater to use in my tanks. Many folk have said about using one made of food quality plastic but when I have looked for these on ebay they have been used and I'd be nervous about being able to wash it sufficiently to make it 'safe'. What are your butts made of?

I just use the standard green water butt jobbys from Wilko for collecting water for my shrimp tanks. Not had any problems. I only use jerry cans for mixing. I fill each with 15 litres rain water and 5 litres of tap. Then a bit of dechlor. Then I use it bucket by bucket to change my shrimp tanks.

It is never stored in the Jerry cans. Will just be in them from when I start water changes to when I finish.

Can I just add that those stackables are £7 each on that website for a 25ltr. You can buy those clear stackables with 25ltrs of DI water in them from Wilco Motosave for £9.99

Last edited:
Hi all,
Hi, I've been looking at water butts for collecting rainwater to use in my tanks. Many folk have said about using one made of food quality plastic but when I have looked for these on ebay they have been used and I'd be nervous about being able to wash it sufficiently to make it 'safe'. What are your butts made of?
I've got a mixture of bought rain-butts and old food containers, I haven't had any problem with any of them. I use the <"Daphnia bioassay"> as my water testing method.

Because I have small tanks, make regular small water changes and I'm really tight with my money, I draw the water of the night before into old 6 pint milk cartons.

cheers Darrel

I just use el cheapo generic green water butts from the garden center. They took a week or so of soaking and occasional emptying before the water stopped tasting 'plasticy' but I've been using them for a few months since and no probs. Fish and inverts are all happy and I'm raising cichlid and pencilfish fry without issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I can buy cheap without feeling guilty!

Back